Good Video Editing Software without big learning curve

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Matt/TN, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As I said in my other thread, I pulled the trigger on a Canon G20, which is my first real camera. I'm excited about this endeavor but I'm pretty green to the whole thing, especially editing. I need some good recommendations for some good software that will allow me to do everything that I need to do but it isn't going to be super difficult to learn how to use. I just don't need something very complicated at this point. I keep hearing of Adobe Premier Elements but I was looking for as much info as I can get about it and anything else I should be considering. Best place to purchase? Is there a way to get it so I can use it on different computers, rather than downloading from a website.

I want to go ahead and get it ASAP so I can be practicing and getting familiar with it. Does anyone have any good tips or advice for me?

You guys have been a huge help!

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started off with windows movie maker, think that's what it was called, last year when I first started editing. Had never done it before and it was pretty easy to learn. Have since went with premiere pro. When first looking at it it seems confusing but the basics are pretty easy to get down. Haven't went very deep into the program as far as every thing it's capable of doing but the reason I went a head and kinda jumped into it was because I didn't wanna learn two different programs. Kinda figured eventually a basic editing software would become limited on what I would be trying to do so if just started with something I would eventually want wouldn't haveta relearn everything.

That was my thought process when I started out anyway, but I've heard alot of people recommend movie maker or imovie for something pretty easy to use.

3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just my 2 cents but for some one never editing before adobe is just way to advanced

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started with Adobe elements 4.0 and am still using it. Definitely a few trips to google to learn how to do things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on what you want to be able to do. iMovie and MovieMaker are great starting points, but are quite limited. If you just want to cut some videos together and see if you like it, it's not a bad place to start.

Premiere elements is fairly cheap ~$85 I think. It offers a little more control. Plus, if its something that you think you'll want to do more often and with more control, you'll be able to transition to Premiere Pro that much easier.

6. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Magix Movie Edit Pro! I have messed around with adobe premiere, and magix can do almost everything premiere can do. Like $50 on amazon

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably leaning towards Premier Elements. I was reading some reviews comparing it to Cyberlink lAst night. They both have an "easy" mode which is a plus, before working up into the full featured version.

Where's the best place to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Where should I look at purchasing Premier Elements? Is it possible to get it on multiple computers?

9. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought mine at best buy for $85. You can dowload on as many computers as you wish. Just need to enter the serial number each time.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Cyberlink PowerDirector 13. I am new to video editing too and it is really easy to use. I am still learning it and I like it a lot.

12. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could find someone who has used both Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 as well as Premier Effects 13 for comparison purposes. I know they're rivals.

13. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with the Windows Movie Maker or whatever the program was that came with my computer. It was terrible. The audio wouldn't sync up to the video. Then I bought a Mac and used iMovie. It was great to start with. Once I got a good feel for that, I went to Final Cut Pro X before moving to Premiere Pro CC. Premiere Pro is not as user friendly as iMovie or Final Cut Pro to begin with, but once you get a feel for it, it's great. I highly recommend it.