DSLR cameras for self film

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Kyle Lawrence, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Kyle Lawrence

Kyle Lawrence Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at upgrading from my current camera to a DSLR. I want something affordable but still have TV quality video. I have looked at the Nikon d5200 and canon 60d any suggestions?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What are you upgrading from?

I entered the DSLR world with my T3i and freaking love that thing! Filming for website/interviews it is amazing and pictures it is tough to beat a good DSLR (lens plays bigger factor than camera itself though for stills). I only researched both of these from specs only and no first hand manipulations so I'll withhold choosing between the two.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Self filming with a DSLR? 70D hands down. Best auto focus out there and it has the pivoting screen.

Self filming with a DSLR is hard. There are a few challenges that you'll have to work around that you don't need to with a camcorder. (ie. focusing, lack of varizoom controller...)

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Let me clarify...my filming with the DSLR is always stationary type set ups, not filming hunts....I'd personally never want to unless I had one with autofocusing...

5. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure I would self film with a DLSR - already hard enough....but that's just me.

6. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Self filming with a dslr is very tough. If you're going to attempt to do it I would choose the 70D.

7. Kyle Lawrence

Dislikes Received:
    Before I had just a Sony camcorder nothing special but I have a couple self filmed kills now and I just want better quality footage

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I wanna get into self filming but honestly auto-focusing is gonna be costly...so unless the DSLR has it I wouldn't mess with it and honestly like others have said I'd look elsewhere than a DSLR.

9. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Self filming is difficult but possible I use a sony a77 with a 18-250 lens get the close up and the distance a lance remote would be nice

10. Kyle Lawrence

Dislikes Received:
    What lens would you suggest?

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good luck with my 18-135mm STM lens. No motor noise and it gives me a good range for bowhunting. I can fill the frame with a deer that's well out of bow range, and the 18mm is nice for in-tree interviews. I'm looking to get a fast 50 for better low light footage, either a 1.8 or a 1.4. I can get decent footage within 15-20 minute of shooting light with my ISO bumped to 1600, but that's pushing it with my f3.5. Those extra stops would be great.

12. Kyle Lawrence

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet thanks man the 18-55 just isn't going to cut it

13. buckjunkie79

buckjunkie79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What about a DSLR just for b-roll and interviews. Would the T3i do the trick or would the 70D be worth the extra money? Wanting a DSLR to do "movie" quality videos. Currently have a Nikon D3100, but would like to upgrade.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can get some great stuff with the T3i. Interviews and b-roll are much easier to do with manual focus.

Most of the time for interviews in the tree I'll let the auto focus get me, then reach up and flip the lens into manual, hit record and do my take. The articulating screen is really nice for that. On the ground I like to use a longer focal length to get a shallower depth of field. When I do that I use the AF on the 70D because I'm not close enough to reach the MF switch. One way to work around this is to use a long stick or post. Put the stick/post in the ground where you'll stand, compose and focus your shot (MF), hit record then walk up and take the stick's place.

For B-roll you have the time to work your focus and do a few takes to get it right.

The biggest downside for the 70D to me is that they don't have Magic Lantern for it yet. I'd love to have some of the features like focus peaking.

15. buckjunkie79

buckjunkie79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. Would a T4i or T5i be better than the T3i and is Magic Lantern available for it?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't remember off had what all the differences are in the Ti models. It'll depend mostly on your budget. All 3 do have Magic Lantern Support.
    http://www.magiclantern.fm/

There are a ton of videos on YouTube about ML. One thing to note is that I believe it voids the manufacturer's warranty, but that's moot if you're buying a used older model.