Entry level dslr questions??

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by grizzly1530, Jul 1, 2015.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering what a good entry level dslr is? I have seen deals for the canon t5 with both an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300 mm lens for 449.99. I would be using this for sports, and wildlife photography, and for some video, and I'd like to try astrophotography. Would this camera be a good starter camera?

2. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    All these camera guys, and no help?

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the T5i is a good starter camera. Having the range in those two lenses is a good start too. I've always been a fan of Canon, and now I know they have good customer service too :busted:

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful though, photography can be just as addicting and expensive as bowhunting :tu:

5. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the t5i with the kit lens and purchased a 55-250 lens as well, shotgun mic and some other goodies... all in all I LOVE the camera but honestly it'll be a little closer to the 750-1000$ pricetag instead of sub500 ... maybe you could look into the t3i instead to drive down the price a bit. My only suggestion after a year of using it would be to not buy the kit lens and buy one single 24-150 lens from tamron or canon so that after you film the shot you can directly flip back to yourself for interviews... with the 55-250 lens that just wasn't wide enough of an angle to fit my dome in the lens lol

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For bowhunting ranges the 18-135mm STM is perfect. But the 300 will be needed for wildlife photography.

7. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help guys! I saw your thread about your camera fitz. I sure don't want that, but it's nice to know the cs is good! I don't plan at this time to do any self filming of hunts or anything with it. I'm ugly and unsuccessful, so that would make for some bad footage, lol.

As for the lens packages, are those good, or should I just buy the body and aftermarket lenses?