Planning a trip to hunt North Dakota Velvet bucks? Help!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Drivingtacks, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read a blog post earlier today on Bowhunting.com about velvet bucks in ND. It got me thinking, I have family in Fargo and we visit them every year on labor day weekend. Coincidently, bow season opens the Friday before labor day in North Dakota. Now I'm frantically trying to plan a hunting trip to see if it would be plausible. I found Sheyenne national grasslands and was wondering if any body has hunted it or has any knowledge about it. As far as I can tell it looks decent but I'd go scout it before season opened.

Any input that you have on North Dakota pubic land and bow hunting velvet bucks would be much appreciated.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt ND out of Fargo, but I have never been to the grasslands. If I would have scouted more I could have shot small velvet bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin from Fargo is getting married this fall and for his bachelor party they wanted to go camping. I talked them into camping at the grasslands (so I could scout while I was there :rock: ) Hopefully I can find some decent bucks while I'm there before I come back for opener.

4. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when it comes to public land. not alot of folks like telling you. itd be nice. But its best to find out youreself where those nice bucks travel. thats what ive been through

5. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if this will help out for that area and land type but go on youtube and look up DIY Sportsman he has good videos on how to hunt public property with little to no scouting. Sorry if this doesn't help

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the sheyanne has some real nice bucks but pressure is quite high.

7. Drivingtacks

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I'm not a rookie to hunting public land. I hunt it here in southern MN quite a bit but that's a lot closer and that makes scouting easier. I was just seeing if I could get some input before I go up and scout.

Thanks bucksnbears, I don't need to shoot anything real big but that would be awesome. Mostly just looking for an extra opportunity to fill the freeze.

8. 2peterhunter

2peterhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live 45 miles from Fargo and there is some pretty good public in nd, but not a lot close to Fargo. You would have another hour or two to travel to hit much that's decent.