Exit Strategies for getting out of the stand after evening hunts with deer underneath

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JDUB, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK if you hunt from a treestand in the evening you all experience this...deer come out at dusk...you are waiting for a shooter who never shows, or shows too late to shoot. So now its dark and you are up in the stand with deer underneath you close proximity within 50-100 yards or even closer. I myself think that spooking them walking out is a good way to burn out a stand, so I try to avoid it when possible. Of course I am married and have kids so I can't just sit up there for hours in the dark waiting for the deer to walk off. At times I'll throw a leftover apple core, or a stick or something to spook them off. Other times I've tried hooting like an owl. Any strategies that you guys use to avoid getting busted on the way out? Or any other tips about food plot or field edge stand placement considering an exit strategy would be helpful. Thanks JDUB

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've done both of the methods that you mentioned. If the deer are too close sometimes I'll through something at them or wait them out. If it's a really slow night in early season I'll get out a little early when an opportunity presents its self to sneak away with out alerting the deer.

If I have to get down when deer are in the field. I try my best to go as slow and quiet as possible. I've climbed down trees slow while deer were 50 yards away and they haven't seen me. Doesn't work every time though

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have that problem a lot. Two years ago I changed all of my stand locations. I hang stands purely on my entrance& exit strategy. If I can't hunt an area without spooking deer on my way in or out I don't hunt that spot. I like to set my stands close to ditches, creeks, railroad tracks, or other terrain features that let me slip in& out even if deer are close by

4. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Start barking like a dog and if necessary snap a branch or drop something on the ground so they think the dog is close. This happens fairly often on field edge stands.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually throw something. You don't want to make a sound in your location as it would tell them where you are.

6. pohl-cat

pohl-cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen Bill Winke have somebody drive a truck into the field to blow the deer out before he gets down. In farm country, it's common for a farmer to do this. Deer will move off, but won't be spooked.
    For myself, most of the time I'll wait them out. I even had the kid that lives in the farm house were I park at jump on the quad and come out looking for me one time last season because he got worried that I didn't return after dark! LOL I've also used the leave early method a lot. Sometimes it's better to cut your loses.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had this problem. Hunt public land in PA, you won't have to worry about having deer around you :) .

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have one of the kids come up from the house, they are off to college now so that option is gone. I have thought of training the dogs to come up, but I usually climb down as quiet as possible.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually have someone come pick me up in a truck. When I can't do that I either don't hunt the edges or bark at them.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have someone come get me in the pickup or on the 4x4. Don't let the driver turn off the vehicle. I barely even let them stop... If that isn't available I will use a coyote call. I've heard air horns work too. I've used a remote control RC car in back behind the house. That was pretty funny actually.....

11. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I regularly have this problem and I prefer to wait until they leave even if it is pitch black.

12. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i dont have someone available to pick me up with a truck I bring an electronic coyote call with and place it 20 yards from my stand. Works great but it's one more thing ya gotta haul with.