New to Archery/Bowhunting

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Mattt, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi All,

I'm extremely new to archery and have been messing around with a kids recurve (PSE Cody) lately at my local archery range with friends and got hooked.

After seeing tons of videos of bowhunting and hitting a few targets, i decided on getting a bow and set my sights on the PSE Stinger X in a 70# draw. About 2 weeks ago, my bow came in and I've purchased a whisker biscuit after seeing they're good for beginners.

next on my list is a release and sight followed by a stabilizer down the road.

main question regarding sights is that since i'm so new, does it make sense for me to invest in an expensive sight like an HHA Optimizer that will last me nearly forever? or should i just get a cheaper sight and wait until i get better? i definitely want an adjustable single pin.

regarding the release.. i've been looking at "hook" releases and found the Spot-Hogg Wiseguy but like above, is it worth it for me to invest in a relatively expensive release rather than just get a trufire patriot or something along those lines?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. newyork103

newyork103 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi and Welcome to the addiction I my self is new to bowhunting to I use a trophy ridge 3 pin sight on mine and find its very friendly to new beginners and its not to expensive but will last you a long time from what I heard. As a release goes see if your local sport shop will let you try different types and see what works best for you. I hope this helps and best of luck out there.

3. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first sight was free and I still use it, release was a hand me down and still use it. IMO you don't need to spend a fortune to be in the sport just have to be consistent with what you have first

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

4. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the help guys.

i'm going to my local archery store this friday to get my bow tuned and will see what happens in regards to testing releases and sights (if they let me).

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. If a shop doesn't let you try releases or sights just say you'll go somewhere else that does let you. That might change their mind. Good luck, you'll be hooked for life.

6. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, good luck and Have Fun!

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with a more expensive one you are going to be happy with for a while than getting something cheap and wanting to replace it right away. Spot hogg makes some good releases, I have the whipper snapper.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Spend the money for a good sight. You will be glad you did!

9. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Matt get what ever it takes to get yourself confident and enjoy your self but I will tell you ,you will get out what you put in

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Advice!

11. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as the release goes, get the one you like. I love hook style releases and shoot a Scott Silverhorn.
    For the sight, my advice is to go with a 3-5 fixed pin to start and work on shooting consistently. Many of the one pin adjustable sights require you to shoot groups at different ranges (up to 60 yards) in order to pick the right tape for your arrow trajectory. You need to be able to group consistently to do that accurately.

12. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the Forum

13. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the helps guys. I ended up getting the trufire hardcore release for $100 which i wouldn't have done BUT the guy at the shop was going to charge me $45 to set up my bow and said he'd waive the fee if i got a release. So i did. shot it a few times and actually ended up hurting my shoulder doing test shots in the back of the store. i guess 70lbs was a bit much for me.

I also ended up getting some Victory Gamer arrows which i've taken to the range once so far but i'm basically aiming for the bale of hay rather than the target since i don't have a sight. Release felt great though.

next up is the sight. i told the guy i was looking for a single pin sight and of course he tried to get me to buy the most expensive one in the store. in his defense though, they had maybe 2 single pins in the store so it is what it is. I told him i was looking at an HHA optimizer (which they don't carry) and he didn't try to sway me away from it so i'll be back...to set up my HHA once i get it.

14. Mattt

Mattt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    pulled the trigger on a single pin Mountain Black Gold Ascent Ambush. paid $150 shipped brand new (eBay). seemed like a deal and saw/heard nothing but good reviews on the sight as well as their customer service. Plus i like that it can be adjusted from 20-100 yards rather than 65 with the HHA. Looks like it'll arrive either today or tomorrow..hopefully it's easy to set up.

15. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Matt! I live in the San bernadino mountains. If you want someone to teach you a bit. I live near lake arrowhead. I would be happy to show you some good spots. You have your AO Tag?

16. RalphEwell

RalphEwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You may go to a local store for buying archery or bow hunting equipment. But from my past experience I gain my confidence while using the equipment provided by Safford Sporting Goods and will suggest you to use this you too increase your self-confidence while performing this activities.

17. scoot720

scoot720 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As with most things, likely what you learn on tends to stick with you. However, ease of use and consistency is the key when starting out. I used the factory sights, rest, and a hand me down release for several years on my first bow. Eventually you'll find EXACTLY what you like and works for you

18. Noblacksheep

Noblacksheep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may or may not like a single pin sight. I've used a 5, 3 and single pin sight. I prefer single pin because it was simple to adjust, and I couldn't stand the clutter of 3-5 pins. I don't have the most expensive HHA. But I love what I have.

19. Buckaholic84

Buckaholic84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the addiction...i would suggest getting the best you can afford without breaking the bank. Theres a lot of good accesories out there that are in the 40-50 range. Also check classifieds always people selling good used stuff for a lot less

20. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Welcome Matt! good luck! Looks like your well on your way.. I'd say research and test out a lot with products until you're sure what you want and what fits within your budget. Keep asking questions! www.soundbarrierhunting.com