Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RAH5216, Jun 29, 2015.

1. RAH5216

RAH5216 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I put a larger sized peep site on my bow and was warned that my groups would get bigger.
    Now as I am starting to shoot again, I occasionally pull my arrows left of target and at 30yds, completely missed the target twice. I'm no pro shooter by any means but I also haven't missed a target in a long time. I was shooting at a block, which is a good size target to miss. This doesn't happen all the time, I will shoot 2 good shots and then wham it goes way left. I am a righty and my string has also started slapping my left arm. Are these related instances or am I just EXTREMELY rusty. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too went to a larger peep a few years back. When you draw and get your pin settled center the peep around the site ring. It takes a little getting used to but don't worry so much about the pin once you get it on the target, just center that sight ring.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah check that draw length too, sounds like something is off there.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Has anything else changed on the bow in that timeframe? Could you get someone to take a pic or video of you at full draw? that would help greatly.

5. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    canting the bow slightly one way can cause this.

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a number of things to me, possibly more than one at the same time. Are you a regular shooter? Could this possibly from inconsistent form or anchor point? Like Sota said, line up the peep around the site housing. I would try shooting closer, say 15 to 17 yards and work your way back to see if that helps. Try to change only one thing at a time so you can pinpoint the problem. :tu:

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of bow? I had one get all squirrelly on me and it was because the cable guide bar came loose (bent bar type). I think most newer bows don't have the bent bar but if it's an older bow it might.

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Marauder. Sounds like something is not consistent. When you get settled in look to see where you site ring is inside your peep. With a proper anchor it should be almost second nature to have that site ring be pretty close to center. I don't think it matters how big of peep you use as long as you have a consistent anchor point and are looking at the site at the same level etc.

I would get someone to video you and people on here can see if they notice anything out of the ordinary. Otherwise I would just shoot but pay attention as to what you might be doing different for each shot. I think you might be surprised on what you notice on how certain things are not the same.

In the past I noticed how I would shift my hand a little bit once I got to full draw. This would cause me to torque the bow a bit and then I would be off.

9. RAH5216

RAH5216 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback. No I am not a regular shooter, almost embarrassed to admit this but I typically just shoot in the summer before the season starts and then occasionally during bow season (Sept - Nov). I will try the items noted above and see if that helps. Something else that I forgot to mention is that my kisser button just came off. Could this be causing an issue as well? After looking at some YouTube videos I think that I may be hyper extending my left wrist (bow holding hand) on occasion, this could also be a culprit I suppose.

10. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you torque your bow or punch the trigger. Right handed shooters will shoot left. If the string is hitting your arm then it sounds like your grip is wrong and your torquing the bow. when you hold your bow don't put your full hand around your grip. if you hold your hand up and put your thumb out to make a "L" the grip should sit right were the bend is. When your at full draw you should be able to open your hand and have your 4 fingers off the grip with the weight of the bow on your lower thumb. Then lightly close your fingers. when you shoot the bow will want to fall forward out of your hand but the wrist strap won't let it... So it just sounds simple as bad form to me...

11. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing you can try, is when your at full draw put the string on the tip of your nose. I know a lot of guys that do not use a kisser button and just use the string on their nose and getting the site ring pretty close to center inside their peep.

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with marauder