Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lester, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone else think Russell Wilson and his agent are CRAZY for saying they believe he should be the highest paid player in the NFL? I can think of a number of QB's I would rather have over the next few years over him. I also think Seattle wins most of their games because of the defense, not him. It is getting crazy that if you are an average to above average QB on a winning team they think they should get paid as much as the super star QB's.

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not even franchise him if he wont take around 15 million I would let him leave and let some other team over pay him or call his bluff and let him go play baseball. If Russell is worth 23 million then Andrew Luck is worth 30 million!

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that it sounds exorbitant but in reality it just don't mean that much to me. If he can negotiate a deal it is a free enterprise system then let him get paid. The market place will determine his value. I personally think some of these sports salaries are absolutely insane anyway. Conversely in the NFL without guaranteed contracts if you get hurt you never collect on these long term deals so get what you can get you do get used up at an early age.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't aware he or his agent said that. If so, not only do I think it would be ridiculous to make him the highest paid, I am surprised he would say it himself. He seems like a humble guy with his head on his shoulders. It takes a pretty egotistical person to come out and say they should be the highest paid player in their sport.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's is obviously not the best QB in the NFL so should not be the highest paid. But I'm not surprised he and his agent are trying to get as much as they can especially considering the bargain Wilson has been for the Seahawks his first three seasons. Based on what other QBs have been getting lately I would expect he will end up with a deal that pays around $20 million per season.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think he should be the highest paid QB, but he should be one of the highest paid. I think he is a Top 5 QB mainly because he makes very few mistakes and is one of the best quarterbacks in the league at keeping a play alive. If a play breaks down, he has the ability to escape if not he will simply throw the ball away. He can beat you with his legs and with his arm. He rarely makes a bad throw. I know that pass in the Super Bowl was a bad throw. Throw that pass low and if the receiver can't get it, it hits the ground. But truth be told they should have given Lynch the ball and the game would have been over.

7. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it's all a negotiating tactic. In the end he'll get $20,000,000 or a little better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Russel can not get the ball on target on the move past 12 yards, he is not a top 5 QB in the NFL offer him a mere 15 million a year if he wants to go good luck to him. He is a system QB he does not have the ability to make WR's better.

9. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Russell Wilson is a stud, he's won more games in his first 3 seasons than any other qbs. He's also made the playoffs 3 years, 2 super bowl births and won one, and I don't care what anyone says should have this last season. He can win games with his legs and arm and hes only going to get better. Dude can make as much money as he wants in my opinion.

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your right...but instead of winning Wilson threw a pick which would have been avoided with a more accurate throw. I didn't like that play call but nobody seems to want to assign any blame to the guy who actually threw the pick?

I agree Wilson is a good QB and I don't care about how much money he is going to make. I am just saying he is not the best QB in the league. We will see how much winning he does after his salary starts accounting for 20% of the Hawk's salary cap. I think the addition of Graham will be big for him this season though.

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    His defense pretty much won him the Super Bowl and he lost the other one with a pick. He's a decent QB imo. Nowhere near demanding the most money in the NFL. There are a lot of QB's I would take on my team ahead of him.

12. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In terms of talent, no, he shouldn't be. It's funny when someone mentions that "he" took the Hawks to the super bowl. Compare him with Andrew luck, Aaron Rodgers, and all the truly great qbs in the game and it's not even close. He's had a great defense and great running back the entire time he's been there. The Rodgers and lucks of the world have done great things with no running backs and no defense....

13. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The amount of winning he does and people saying he is a top 5 QB will go down quite a bit when he gets a big contract and they have to get rid of 2 or 3 great defensive players to pay him. People will bash him then and say he was a bust once he got paid, but really he will be the same exact QB.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are So Right!

15. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is Wilson the best in the league?? no. But is he a great QB... yes. He can make plays with his arm, and if things break down, he can turn big losses into big gains with his legs... he doesn't get flustered by the pressure, and keeps his head in the game... as for that game ending pass in the last super bowl?? look at it again, in slow motion... that was not a bad pass, it was a great defensive play... he came from behind, pushed the receiver out of the play and took the ball from him... should they have used Lynch... ya, I think so too... but I can't blame Wilson... he didn't call the play, and it was great defense, not a bad throw... pay him the 20 mil.. watch him keep playing at the same level, and next contract he'll get more..

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the question is, will he be the same QB without all the weapons around him, and without a defense that consistently gave him great field position and ample opportunities? Also, will he be able to elevate the play of those around him. Because that is what he will have to deal with if he becomes the highest paid QB in the league. I think he's outstanding because of how he can keep a play alive and how he generally plays with very few mistakes. I think he's worth a good contract, but I think they would be better to keep that defense together instead.

17. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope Seattle gives him the biggest contract in history, than it will cripple their salary cap space. Then they won't be able to pay anyone else, resulting in another Packer Super Bowl trophy! :lol:

Anyway he isn't the best, so therefore shouldn't be paid the best. Period.

18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he took 15 million a year and left 10 million for Seattle to make it about the team they will win more and he will keep getting all of those commercials he is doing and making up the rest of the money. He takes 25 million they lose players and games and that commercial money goes away and in the long run he makes less. Plus how are they going to get other defensive players to think team first not money first if they pay the QB all that. If they pay him 25 million I say within 2 seasons they are back to losing more than they win.

19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's the best bet. I mean hell if I went from 1.5 to 15 mil I'd be happy with that raise.

20. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If agents weren't involved then he might be happy with 15 million, agents make a percentage so greed takes over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk