Dead Down Wind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MMcRobie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After using products from a small, local company last year I am making the switch back to the well known and proven brands for scent elimination. After doing some research I am drawn toward the Dead Down Wind products. Has anyone had any positive/negative experience in the past with their scent elimination products?

Thanks!

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No one can say for sure if any scent elimination products work or not. I have and still do use Dead Down Wind, just to feel better, but I cannot offer a true testimony whether it does or doesn't work. Instead, I prefer to use Scent Killer Gold and put my clothes and boots in a bin of cedar chips before and after each use until my next hunt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Dead Down Wind products. I have been using them for over 4 years now. They work really well for me. Their deodorant is the BEST I have ever used! They also have a scent-free oil that I use on all my treestands, ratchet straps and camera gear. Let me add that DDW is just one step in many to help eliminate scent. Scent free bags and totes are a must. Also, make sure you designate a towel and wash cloth for hunting that you wash in DDW detergent and store with your other gear. Many people don't do this!! They shower in the scent eliminating bodywash or soap and they use a towel that has been washed with fabric softener or dried with a scented dryer sheet. I have traveling clothes I wear in my truck to my hunting site that have been washed in DDW detergent as well. I wear them over my base layer so it is easy for me to change once I am at my hunting property. I hope this helps!! :tu:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually use two types each time I shower and wash my gear.

I use the Primos Control Freak Silver XP and Dead Down Wind with the enzyme technology.

Both work in different ways, so instead of guessing which technology works better, I use both.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have used it for 2 years now. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Merc7731

Merc7731 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a FIRM believer in DDW products. If I can't smell my 2 teenagers after they put on the DDW deodorant, then I know for a fact it works!! LOL

If that isn't enough proof, the following made me even more of a believer. After my dog had a "accident" in the middle of the living room, I cleaned it the best I could. I even shampooed the carpet but the smell was still horrendous. I took my big bottle of DDW Field Spray and gave my carpet a few good sprays with it. It worked and it worked well!! That was last fall and even to this day the smell is gone. My mom was so impressed that she uses it now to spray all of the furniture when she does a good house cleaning.

Needless to say, I love this brand.

7. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    That is Awesome! I have to try that!

8. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had awesome luck w DDW products. I use about everything they make with good success

9. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! Good to hear most have had positive experiences. I agree completely on using a full "system" starting with using body wash, shampoo, spray and scent free clothing. Hopefully this stuff works out for me this fall!

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To be quite honest, I don't really think any of it works like we think or hope it does. A couple of years back, there was a group that did testing on these products and found the HS Scent Away killed the most scent causing bacteria out of the bunch. I use it. Its cheap and judging by that test, the most effective.

However, I don't put a lot of stock in what it does for me in the woods. After thinking about it, it just doesn't make sense why the sprays would work.

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that dead down wind doesn't work well at all for me. I prefer carbon synergy and scent killer by wildlife research. Everytime I use those two I never get winded even when a buck was 10 yards away and the wind in his face.

12. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using DDW products for the last 8 years .... also put EverCalm on tree limbs & my stand to cover any of my scent .

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Dead Down Wind laundry detergent, shower soap, deodorant and spray. I have been using these for 5 years. I have yet to be busted due to scent. I plead the fifth on being busted for movement and noise, or clumsiness that caused me to knock an arrow out of my quiver and to the ground.:bash:

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the body wash, tooth paste, and breath spray...I believe they work pretty well.

How do I know?...my wife, while she is no deer, is pregnant and has that pregnant nose on her...occasionally I sneak a cigarette here and there...a little of the bodywash on the facial hair, brush the teeth then use the breath spray and she doesn't say a word...every other time she does...it does something I know that.

15. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sprayed it on my cat litter box once ....didn't smell like Crap afterwards.. .lol

Sent from my XT830C

16. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Though I hunt the wind and never rely on any product, I do use all of the dead down wind products to help give me an edge should the wind change or something. Mainly to just leave as little of my own scent behind as possible. Their stuff works great.

17. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the years I've used the most poplar brands and i think ddw works the best. I have been smelled the least using there products than other brands. I work in a tire factory and my work clothes smell horrible. Regular laundry detergents don't even take all the smell out and they are scented. I used the ddw detergent once on my work clothes and it took all the smell out and it is a scentless detergent! There other products work great too.

18. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I use EverCalm to and it works really well as a cover scent.

19. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like DDW products but by choice I use primos freak control.

20. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never thought about using ever calm. I'll have to look into it.