Those of you that film with a DSLR or have in the past

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Matt/TN, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What made you make the decision to film with a DSLR? I have a few questions for you guys.

How do they compare as far as low light goes in comparison to like a G20 or G30 from Canon? How hard is it to zoom, work the camera, etc in comparison to a video camera?

I think it's an interesting idea personally. I just want to hear all the Pro's and Cons for doing this. Thanks in advance!

2. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love filming with my DSLR. I film all my hunts with a DSLR and it gives it a unique look. When it comes to filming hunts it pays off to stand out from others. There are so many people that film hunts, the little bit of difference people see can make a huge difference. To the average eye that knows nothing about cameras, they won't know why the footage looks better they just know it looks better. Filming with a DSLR definitely takes a lot of practice and take a lot of tweaking to get it to look right but when you do its well worth the extra effort to get the quality of footage. Im not sure on quality of light compared to the cameras you mentioned but the quality of low light really kind of depends on the amount you are willing to spend on a lens. A DSLR is much easier and faster to run manual controls vs. a video camera. That is all just my opinion from my experiences.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I answered your PM, but I'll just copy my response here.

Well, I chose to (use a DSLR) for a few reasons. One, I wanted a DSLR because I used to shoot a lot with a SLR years ago, so it was a familiar tool for me. I also wanted it for wildlife photography. Finally, I love the quality of the images you can get with a DSLR and the lens choices.

It's pretty good in low light, but the key is to have a fast lens. I'll be adding a 50mm 1.8 STM or the 50mm 1.4 lens hopefully before Fall.

It's much harder to self film with a DSLR than a camcorder because of the lack of autofocus & available varizoom controllers. Now, that's why I chose the 70D. It's auto focus is heads above any DSLR and comparable to most camcorders. There is even a Canon DSLR compatible controller, though it doesn't zoom.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I love using the DSLR. If I wanted two cameras, I'd honestly get a second DSLR, maybe a 5DmkIII.

4. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response Fitzy. Makes sense, it does seem like a big challenge (as if self filming isn't tough enough). I'm still going to go the camcorder route then get a nicer point and shoot. I'm going to go with the G20 for now (refurbished) then maybe upgrade from the 10x zoom down the road. I just want to get started for now. I've been checking out the nicer Canon and Nikon point and shoots and they seem to all have 35x-50x optical for around $300. The camera is on the back burner because my main focus is getting everything to film. It's still competitive archery season (2-3 national shoots left) and I'm playing quite a bit of golf though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No problem Matt. Good luck with the shoots :tu: