Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by jdhaines32, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have experience with WI Pure Attraction? My dad and I are looking for something that could plant for this hunting season that may be of attraction throughout the Pa Archery season and possibly gun season as well. We would be doing two small plots of about 1/8 acre each. The land is all woods, so I know this won't be a food source as much as a pit stop as the deer move through to the mountain or to the neighboring corn fields. The plots will get about 4-6 hrs of light I would guess.

Last year we planted WI Secrete Spot and Bowstand. They looked great and were nice and green but didn't seem interesting to the deer. Had more grass than I'm looking for this year though.

The Pure Attraction looked like it would be good with the oats and winter peas for early season and the brassicas for later in the season. but I wasn't sure if this would be a good mix for such a small plot. Any other suggestions are also welcomed.

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love love love pure attraction. It has become my favorite All around seed mix. I've planted it for the last two years and have been extremely pleased with the results. My only problem has been not planting enough....The plots have been eaten down to the dirt before the season was over.
    The reason I like it so much is because of the variety. The oats really draw the deer in early and allow the brassicas to grow. I'm able to see deer all season in the same plot.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How big of a area do you plant it in?

4. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 plots of it...or I will this fall. One is 1/2 acre, one is 3/4 acre, one is 1 acre...my area has a lot of deer though. Seeing 30 in an afternoon is not uncommon

5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MAN, that would be nice.....I can only dream!!
    Creeks!

6. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    It is and it isn't....personally I'd like to see numbers down a little. The habitat takes a beating due to browse pressure unless you use supplemental feeding and a lot of food plots. There are a couple properties close by that have artificially inflated deer numbers for 30 years (under the premise of deer management) so that now we are way above carrying capacity. Makes big buck hunting tougher too...so many does that bucks don't have to go far to find a girlfriend.

7. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boonerville,

I bought a bag of big and beasty already, otherwise I'd go for the pure attraction, as all I've ever planted was WI and love every one of there products.

What if I broadcast a little WI Forage outs over my seedbed after I put down some big and beasty? I have 5 1/3 acre plots that I'll be planting.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like top dressing with purple top turnips lightly into Pure Attraction. My father is a big PA fan, and it's produced well for us.

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Yes You could...probably get better production if you do 3 of the plots big n beasty and 2 with the oats. Then you would have some more variety for hunting situations.

10. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Do you do that because you want more turnips in the mix? Pure attraction has tall tine turnips in it...only like 4 percent though

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. jdhaines32

Dislikes Received:
    So if your saying your Pure Attraction plots get grazed down quite a bit with them being 1/2 and 3/4 acres, then in your opinion would this seed mix not be a good choice for me if the biggest plot I can plant is about 1/8 acre?

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Depends entirely on your deer density. I would not hesitate at all to try it. That's the only way to tell. Even if they eat it all...you will have a great spot until they do and you will know the deer like it.

14. jdhaines32

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. We don't have a deer density anywhere near your's the way it sounds. The land is 48 acres of woods that basically leads to the mountain. There are some agricultural fields nearby that are usually planted with either corn or beans, so most of the deer we see are passing through.