GOPRO 4+ black or silver

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by drslyr, Jun 24, 2015.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opinions please from actual users. I'm leaning toward silver cause I don't think i need 4k capabilities.

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody second angle shooting with these new go pro's?

3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My mistake I meant go pro 4 black or silver.

4. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For a second angle, I would save the money and go with the silver because you don't need the extra quality. That said I would definitely buy the remote. That will save you so much movement, that thing is worth its weight in gold. I have the black edition 4 but I take it to Alaska and do other things with it besides second angle. If thats what you plan to do with it I would spend the money and get the black.

5. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. The silver will get the job done.... unless you want the new Gopro Session.

6. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the silver... we shall see if I made the right choice. :)

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Silver is fine. The black is nice for 4K (if you really need it), but more importantly, the 720p240 is SWEET for slow motion. For hunting situations, not many reasons to slow footage down that slow unless it's during the shot.

Silver gets you the back LCD included with the price (it's an addon with the black) so that's a plus.

I was going to upgrade this summer, but some other things took priority. I had all but settled on the Silver.

8. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How about some video posting with the go pros guys. In a hunting situation I mean. Also How much of a nightmare is it to import to my editing software and will the footage sync to footage from my vixia HFG 20 in the editing process. I hate editing.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with the Black because I think the added features are worth the extra $100.

There's no difference is working with GoPro footage and the G20 footage as far as the editing goes...at least with Adobe Premiere Pro CC. Below is a link to an episode of my show with a few turkey hunts. Watch the last two hunts (16:10) and you can see how I synced the GoPro footage with the main camera. All you have to do is lay down both video tracks on top of each other, slide one of them to match the other and just make cuts where you want each track to play. Very easy.

The Break | "A Little Bit Different"

10. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on Either go pro black or silver cuz after going on the go pro website the forums are just loaded with people with endless problems with these things.Does your go pro work as advertised? Have you had problems with yours not operating properly?

11. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a silver and love it. I just don't see the extra $100 being worth it. I have used mine for golfing, filming my daughter, ATV riding, etc. Works great. I also mounted it up on my bow and practiced with my second angle while target shooting. I love it so far. Buy all of your accessories off Amazon though, for 1/2 the price. Good luck!

Edit: I can edit my footage right along side my Canon HF S30 footage in iMovie on my Mac.

12. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the silver mainly for the longer battery life, I'm sure a new GoPro will be coming out either late end of the year or early next year and I will be getting that one for sure. I haven't had a single problem with my GoPro. I also read all the reviews of people having trouble and having to send them back but I think that's just the case of so many people having them that of course there will be a few bugs out there.

13. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally bit the bullet and bought the go pro 4 silver. PLUS ACCESSORIES. I'm into it close to a grand. Ben playin with it for a couple days now. I have jerky playback on my macbook pro. Been reading how to fix/ changing the codec. Can't anything just work?

14. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok heres a quick video with i movie shooting at 1080 60fps. Pretty raw footage just to see what it looks like. It looks choppy to me and whats the flashing dark light dark light. It almost looks like an old time movie. Now if i can only figure out how to post it here or put a link to the vid on vimeo [video=vimeo;137532846]https://vimeo.com/137532846[/video]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  15. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda figured out how to post. Would rather post a link so you can go full screen but I been mess in with it for hrs. and I'm sick of it for tonight. Whadaya think? Is there an EASY way to smooth out the footage?

16. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im not seeing anything on your post above. If youre on the vimeo page of the video, you should be able to copy and paste the url on here as a link

17. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, that works. The video looks like high quality, but does look a bit choppy.

19. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if i could make a suggestion, look into the UltraProX cam 8 or 10/ those things a beastly, come with more than a gopro and have a bunch of different features, the 5 has motion detection, they have zoom (minus the 8) the 8 and ten can be ran from your phone and viewed simultaneously. the ten also has a watch style remote and is in 4k. they are a FRACTION of the cost and work just as good if not better. 1080 at 60fps and 720 at 120fps.

20. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too late already spent the money.The river scene was filmed in 1080 60 fps