Pistol Talk

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Jun 23, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm leaning towards a Glock or Sig - really Glock considering their reputation and price difference. Which caliber(s), models, generations do you have or like?

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a G29 gen 4 in 10mm. Love this gun. Bought it so I can use it to hunt by adding a longer barrel. When not hunting I love it's compact size.

If I were to buy another pistol tomorrow it would probably be the G43. I would love to have it for its small size and ammo is way cheaper. I just love the way a Glock sits in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Springfield XDM 4.5 .45 acp. It has Tru Glow night sights and a PRP trigger job. 14 rounds of .45, I love this gun.

4. unclefish

unclefish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look into a 1911 style 5 inch 45 acp. Lots of choices for guns alot aftermarket parts to make it what u want. U also can find about 30 different powders for reloading brass u can find small primer and large primer. 45 acp bullets are pretty easy to find. Also 1911 forum members will walk u through just about any issue. The plus thing is there are great to shoot.

5. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    U take a look at the double barrel 1911s

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BigPhil....first and foremost is this your first pistol?

Will it be used for EDC (everyday carry)...truck gun....nightstand....?

Working at a range part time I've seen so many folks looking for pistols that make a purchase solely due to other's opinions...and often times the opinions were flat out wrong or misguided. A pistol selection should always be the one that fits you the best and the one you like the best. You want an external manual safety...then you get one with that, no matter whether Joe Bob your cousin or friend told you.

If at all possible don't buy a gun you can't shoot the same model of first...many area ranges or fellow pistol fans most likely have one you can try. This eliminates doubt about a purchase more, and that is always a good thing. Many of the folks that come into the range ask what I recommend...I simply respond with "The gun that you like the most...and if you can't afford it, then the second one you like the most...and if...you get the picture."

No matter how I personally answer or the traits I personally like in a pistol doesn't necessarily transfer to you or another person buying a gun. I personally like a smooth trigger...I don't care if it is a long trigger (Kahr) so long as it is smooth....some people don't mind a little pick up on a trigger so long as it travel is short and it breaks very light...neither is wrong. Some folks demand their pistol have a very short trigger reset...others a long one doesn't bug them. Texture wise I love the Gen 3 Glocks over the Gen 4...someone else thinks differently.

So the first question is what is your purpose for the gun?

If it is EDC...what kind of typical clothing will you be wearing as that plays a factor in what you can easily conceal?

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As for a direct comparison between Glock and Sig it would depend on what size/style you are wanting to compare...if single stack 9mm is the desire than you are talking the Glock 43 vs the Sig290RS or the Sig938....and so on so forth.

8. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my EDC is a Kel-tec PF-9. I like this pistol because it fits in my back pocket without showing and it is fairly easy to shoot. I enjoy shooting it but others (like my girlfriend) have a hard time holding it with such a small frame.

For the field I carry my Taurus PT .45 1911, shoots like butter but is rather big for a edc.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My EDC is an XDs .45. I open carry a beretta 92f or a S&W m&p 9. My husband carries para .45 double stacks or a little para warthog. I don't care for the warthog because the slide is very stiff but then I'm a wimp.

For some reason we've never been attracted to the sigs. And glocks are just ugly. :D ;)

Rent or borrow the guns you are interested in. Then buy the one you like better. (or heck, buy 'em both!)

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    EDC G19 w/ trijicon HD night sights.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a variety of handguns. There are two though that I carry regularly. I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 43. I carry the 19 when I can conceal it and the 43 in warmer t-shirt weather.

Both guns have literally no failures. I've got several thousand rounds through the 19 and probably 500 through the 43 now. Both guns are wearing Trijicon HD night sights and the 43 has a Talon rubberized grip on it. Other than that they are stock.

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be buying a personal defense handgun when I turn 21, lots of scary stuff has been happening here in Fargo, such as my friend getting murdered in the house I used to live in with him. Stuff like that never used to freak me out because I grew up in a small town where you were safe in your home. But after seeing what happened in a place I called "home" I don't feel the same way...

Does anyone have experience with a grip safety?

13. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's been a tough couple days. He was loved by soo many people. This guy was made in the image of God right down to the point. Even his last moment on earth was opening his door to a stranger who asked for a glass of water

15. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Things like that make me wish I could carry now. I've been looking into it and decided I want a grip safety as I would leave the traditional safety off while holstered

16. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your replies, input and advice. Tiny, I like the points your brought to the table - this in fact will be my first hand gun, not necessarily to carry concealed, in my truck or on my night stand, but instead, to learn how to shoot. As everyone knows, they're much different than shouldering a shotgun, rifle or drawing a bow but this is the one weapon that I feel like I should be sufficient with, but am not - therefore, want to be. If I get a weapon, of any kind - shotgun, rifle, whatever, it must be reliable and I have to trust it. I want a big caliber - .357, .40 or .45. Not to knock a big hole in something, but to become comfortable with and not hesitate. I started this thread more or less to get ideas about different models, generations and calibers that I have not thought of and to do a little research on before narrowing down.

17. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Condolences man.

18. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Can anyone recommend some good places to buy ammo online? The best I have found so far is CheaperThanDirt . com

19. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check us out on shopdunns.com, we have competitive prices and if you don't see what you're looking for you can give us a call.

20. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Phil,

I do not have any experience with Glocks, I hate the trigger safeties that they have, but again never shot one... I do want to try a G19 though.

With that said, if its not a Ruger, Older Smith, or a Sig i prolly wont buy it. Those 3 brands have treated me very well and shoot tremendously.

We all have our opinions, but to me Sigs are about the easiest to shoot guns out there, right there with the 1911. their lack of safeties all over the dang place are very appealing to me in the Sig line. They are very easy, like most of the guns mentioned, to field strip and take care of. i wont pretend to have every gun in the Sig line up but the 229 (.40), 239 (9mm), and 226 (9mm) are all exceptional guns that will likely last longer than you or I.

Go to a range and shoot as many as you can. The gun will find you.