Accuracy question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Jun 22, 2015.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with a tube peep sight. About three weeks ago the tube tore about an inch from the peep sight. I went by the pro shop where I bought it and they said it was no big deal and to put it back on. Yesterday I shot for the first time since it happened. I moved two weeks ago have been too busy unpacking to shoot until yesterday. Prior to the tear my center shot was excellent. Yesterday it was off a couple inches at 20. But I thought it was me. The further I backed up the more I hit right of center. At 50 yards I was holding dead center on the target and hitting the right edge or completely missing the target(off by a foot or more). I will admit I sometimes pull right but not every shot like it was yesterday. I will admit I felt a little rusty after not having practiced in close to a month. Would decreasing my length on the tube cause me to hit that far right? I can't imagine I would be that rusty.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is possible, if you had to shorten the tube too much it is pulling too much on the cable and causing issues. I would remove the tube and then shoot again to see if it fixes the problem. If it does you found your issue. In all honesty, not all "pro" shops have expert techs and they sometimes give poor advice.

3. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's possible but not very likely. Unless that tube is really short, it's most likely you or something else. Were you shooting in a new spot? Were you shooting on a slight hillside before, or are you now? Do you have a level on your sight?

4. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have a level on my sight and I was shooting at a new location. There may be a 6" drop in elevation over the 50 yards. It is pretty level ground though.

5. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I was talking about level left to right.

I doubt it's the peep tubing. 95% of the time, peep sight issues are vertical misses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    My level is horiztonal and my shots were all level.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I might be wrong but just a thought. I have an hha site with site ring. I know if I do not center that site ring or atleast have most of the site ring in my peep then I'll be off . Is it possible that your peep got moved and now that changed how you are anchored. Essentially a different line of site as you are now in a different spot. Hard for me to explain in writing but just a thought to try and help. I use to always use a peep with the rubber tube but I changed over to one without the tube and love it. After the string is stretched you sometimes have to have a few twists added to line things back up but it works good.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking if the tube was already short and then he made it another inch shorter it could really be torquing the cable. That is one reason I do not like tube peeps because they can, in extreme cases, mess with cable timing. If you ever go from a straight cable rod to bent one you often have to re-sight due to the decrease in cable torque. This could mimic that, but only if the peep tube is way too short of course.

9. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I understood what you meant. Cable driven rests can do it too but I felt like the tubing would pop off the peep before it got to that much force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The tube tore twice. The first time it tore about 1/4" off. At first I thought it had just popped off. I put back on, fired a few more shots and then it tore again by about an inch. I am wondering if the tube sight was installed too short when I bought the bow. Would that make sense?

11. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the short tube could be torqueing cable and string. Why don't you just ditch the tube or get a new one at proper length? Are you noticing a change of arrow flight...not POI change, but abherrent arrow flight? Are your arrows sticking into the target now at a different angle? Can you shoot it through paper? You might want to find a bow shop with a tech who is willing to work with you on this issue. Or you can also just move your sight pins to the right and call it good ;)

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on the new tube. If it has torn twice, it's more than likely dry rotted and you don't want that happening in the fall. Cheap way to test if that's the cause is get a new silicone one, tie it on long enough so that it doesn't turn the peep until at least 3/4 draw and see if that returns your arrow to zero. If it doesn't you have other issues. Fast and cheap test. Start small before changing your pin position. Change one thing at a time then move forward.:p

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    P.S. You can always shorten it if you tie it too long.