Please explain the confederate flag loyalty to me

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jun 22, 2015.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As a "Yankee" (sigh) I don't get it for many reasons. I'm going into this with an open mind so bear with my ignorance. Help me understand the reasons for standing by this flag in 2015.

2. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Benjamin Watson, NFL TE, had a great post on Facebook today. I'm not an NFL fan, but follow him for his commentary on a variety of social issues. I hope this is OK to post in the long form since it's a social media post. Here's what he said:

It's hard to explain how I feel when I see the rebel flag. The emotional bucket overflows with anger, trepidation, sorrow, a perverted pride and apathy. As hard as I try not to make assumptions about whoever is flying the flag or driving around with it mounted on their truck, my mind can not hold back the painful images of the past generations.... and the current one. The nine racially motivated murders of last week, have written a new chapter in the annals of race violence in this country. And at the center of it all, proudly displayed in images of the killer, the rebel flag.
    When I moved to South Carolina in 1996, albeit from the southern state of Virginia, I was somewhat taken aback by the frequency of which I saw the flag. It was on vehicles, displayed on homes, and worn on t-shirts. Like grits and sweet tea, the flag was just part of the culture, an enduring symbol of all things southern. This never changed how I felt about it, but it did teach me to give individuals a certain amount of grace and realize that not everyone who embraced the flag embraced prejudice and supremacy alike.

I can remember visiting a teammate's home for the first time my sophomore year. Frank, a white offensive guard on my high school football team, had quickly become my closest friend, welcoming me, the new guy, when others weren’t so quick to do so. As I walked into his room, I froze, staring uncomfortably at the large Rebel flag, hanging above his bed. I remember the lump in my throat as I briefly attempted to convey in the most non-condemning way, what the flag represented to me and many others like me. Because of the lingering heaviness of the moment, I can’t recall much after that but I do remember how valued I felt, when I returned to Frank’s home some time later and the flag was gone! He didn’t have to, but because he cared about our friendship, because he cared about me, he empathetically removed the offensive banner on my behalf and maybe for the first time heard how painful that symbol could be. That day was a turning point in our relationship and today; Frank continues to be one of my best friends.

It should not take the brutal, senseless killings of innocent black Americans in a church by a young white man, to ensure the removal of the confederate battle flag from the State House grounds where it has flown in proud defiance of the civil rights movement since the 1960’s. If the flag wasn’t problematic before this heinous crime it should not be problematic now, and to hastily remove it in response to this slaughter, although a sympathetic (and economic) gesture, does not address the heart of the matter. In my estimation it is indeed the HEART, that is the matter. Displaying the confederate flag is not inherently wrong. This is not NECESSARILY an issue on which we can take a moral stance. It is not a simple right or wrong dilemma. I understand that for some, the confederate battle flag does not evoke sentiments of racism or supremacy; it is simply a tribute to their heritage, ancestors, and homeland. For others, including the killer, it means much more and for others it is a hiding place for passive racism and group "identity." It is without a doubt, however, a litmus test, exposing our willingness to deny our liberty, our freedom, to fly the flag of our choice, for the sake of offending our countrymen whose SHARED HERITAGE is conversely stained with death, injustice, rape, terror and inferiority.

If we remove the Confederate flag from the State Capitol for any reason other than a change in the hearts of South Carolinians, we may as well leave it be. This is not the time for political statements and worrying about national perception. But if we, like my friend Frank, finally listen to the cries and concerns of those we say we care about, soften our hearts, and choose to lay our liberties aside to assuage the pain of our brothers, the only suitable option would be a unanimous decision to remove the flag from the public grounds at the Palmetto State Capitol. The past and it's people, as acclaimed or afflicted as they may be, should always be remembered. But it is difficult to completely "move forward" if painful, divisive icons continue to stand unchallenged.

Sometimes, tragedies have a way of jolting us, laying the truth about us individually and collectively, stark naked for all to see. The outpouring for Charleston has been nothing short of extraordinary and inspiring. Sometimes it takes one person, one neighborhood, one city, and one state to show the unifying love of Christ to the world. As a canyon is carved by the flow of a river long dried up, may the passion of this week cut deep, leaving a permanent change in hearts and souls long after the emotion has gone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well with supporters like this, how are we surprised?

1366027654_kkk.jpg

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just want to know why normal people still display this flag. Not the fringe group.

Normal, good, non racist, hardworking people.Why?That is what I am driving at.

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just think a lot display it for reasons they don't know....lol. Most people are proud their from the South, not for reasons of the rebel flag. Reasons being how people are much more friendly and out going to help each other. Now, don't anyone take that wrong, as i know most on here are from the North. From my experience, and not ANYONE on here, when I worked up North, the people are different, not in a bad way at all, just not as friendly from my experience. Just a different region and different people i guess you could say. Some of the idiots down here that ride around with a big rebel flag flying, probably couldn't tell you one thing about it or why their doing it just think their cool and redneck.....lol. Not sure why, as most who do that couldn't build a campfire..... Lol.

Sent from my XT830C

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've wondered the same thing... I'm from a town of 2,000 people in central Minnesota and we have kids running around with the flag plastered all over their trucks.

I would bet a $100 bill that 99% have no idea what it stands for.

7. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    I understand this line of thinking. However, I think it's time the south adopts a symbol not associated with racism and hate. I know most people don't fly it for those reasons, but that's what a lot of outsiders see when they see that flag.

8. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure they don't, same as here in the South....just think its cool and their redneck, or they think anyway....lol

Sent from my XT830C

9. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    I fully understand what your saying and thinking. Most down here don't see it as racism or hate though. I think it would shock some to see the people who are flying it, their not all white either. Don't anyone take that wrong. That to me shows that folks of any color sometimes don't know what it means.

Sent from my XT830C

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many people in the south are proud of their heritage. People tend to believe there was some good vs. evil fight over slavery, but that's really not what it was about. The north had become much more industrialized, while the south remained more agricultural based. Because of this, the north really had no need for slavery, while the south's entire economy was based on the system that was in place. This is basically what lead to the southern states secession in an attempt to continue to operate under their own constitution. The north had plenty of laborers in the form of immigrants from Ireland and Germany, the south did not. The south believe that this was a states rights issue and this was yet another reason for their attempted secession.

Many people in the south see something completely different in the confederate battle flag, which incidentally wasn't ever even used as the Confederate states official flag and never represented a fight against slavery. I don't personally see the flag as racists, or intentionally trying to provoke a race war. I see it as a source of pride within the south. Now, there are some real idiots that use the flag for evil, but it's not the flag that's the issue. Just like it's not the guns that are the issue, it's the morons using them to do evil that are where the problem lies.

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There isn't any one-size-fits-all answer to why people display that flag any more than we hunt for the exact same reasons.

For most southerners it is a matter of pride. "Proud to be from the south and screw you Yankees" sort of thing. For some it's a rebel thing. They think it's a way of saying they won't conform.
    To some it's a support of racism. I think those folks are the smallest group. (because I've met plenty of confederate battle flag supporters who aren't racist at all)

My suggestion to people offended by the flag is to just stop being offended by it. Getting rid of that flag isn't going to stop racism anymore than another gun law will stop murders.

12. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Good post!

Sent from my XT830C

13. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Good post as well Christine, not too sure about the screw the Yankees..... Lol. That made me laugh.....

Sent from my XT830C

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was born and raised in South Carolina and nearly all my family still lives there. I know what the flag initially stood for, but over the years the flag has taken on a different meaning. It is often referred to as the "Rebel Flag". South Carolina was the first state to succeed from the Union that eventually led to the Confederate War. This fact was taught to us in school and the flag's meaning was taught also. The flag was a banner for the sons of the Confederacy. Like so many things in this world, it was hijacked by Racist groups that use it as a banner to profess their hatred towards minorities and Jews. They pull a symbol that was current during a time of oppression for many people in an attempt to perpetuate that hatred years later. The same was done with the Swastika that was used by Hitler's regime. It too is used to perpetuate hatred. As far as the flag being removed, I can care less. Being a black man that has lived in the South for many years, I have a different and some what cynical view about it and those that choose to display it. It serves as a BullsEye for me. Those that know me know exactly what I mean. South Carolina agreeing to remove it from the Capitol building is only going to cause more of them to be displayed around the State. The minute you tell an ignorant person they can't, they go out of their way to show you the opposite. WATCH AND SEE!! Every Time one is spotted now, it will be ALL OVER THE NEWS and SOCIAL MEDIA! There will even be marches now by those who like and support this flag. It will eventually pass and this will become "Old News".

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure this outlines the flags adopted by the Confederacy: http://www.usflag.org/confederate.stars.and.bars.html

....it in one way or another is a symbolism of the Confederacy and was actually the adopted flag of them...not just the South, but I think to a lot that is exactly what it has become.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  16. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Your a good man Sam. Great post my friend. It is used for a lot of ignorance, that is for sure.

Sent from my XT830C

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Post Skywalker!!

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see it as a states right issue, let the people of the state decide. Its a slippery slope if we start banning everything we don't agree with or maybe offensive. .

19. jemcmichael

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all for States rights. I don't want Obama to force SC to take it down. However, I think they should take it down

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why does it have to be South vs. North? Why can't we have American pride instead of southern pride? I'm not proud to be from the north. I'm proud to be from the United States of America. Because we are one nation, under god.