Growth Rate?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by dingodango, Jun 21, 2015.

1. dingodango

dingodango Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This may be a stupid question, but I will dare to ask it anyways. I have far more bucks on camera then does at this point in the season. I have only had them out for 3 weeks but after my first card pull I started to realize a trend, or what I am misinterpreting as a trend perhaps. It was always my thought that deer with good genetics should be further along then deer with bad genetics, because they have more inches to grow in the same period of time as a deer with poorer genetics. The deer I have seen so far seem to be the opposite. So please correct me if I am wrong......

For instance the pictures I have attached, I would consider the deer with the least amount of inches the best candidate for potential growth yet he is way behind the other. The smaller deer seems to be done growing, at least in my opinion while the other seems like he just started and the pics are only 1 day apart.

Attached Files:

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you think about antler growth in terms of volume instead of length I don't agree that he is behind. Sure he isn't full framed yet like the other but he has more pounds of bone on his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The second is definitely going to have more mass but I also don't think the first one is finished growing by any means.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, neither one is done growing. Every deer is different. Things vary by area as well from what I've seen. Its only June so plenty of growing time.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They both have a lot more growing to doo. Like pastorjim said the second one is going to have some serious mass.

6. Goin4-200

Goin4-200 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More to go and depends on when the buck shed. Younger tend to hold longer thus grow late

7. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo! Just sit tight and wait, all of a sudden you will start going through pics and be like wait, just last week he has 3 inch g3's and now there 5 inches. and his beams look like they grew 3 inches over night. But bucks grow at different rates depending on shed time and also genetics, nutrition, stress, physical body condition like if they were hit by a car.