Need Some Help...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by gltomp, Jun 21, 2015.

1. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay all...
    Local break ins to vehicles happening nightly around here. So... I'm looking to purchase a CHEAP trail cam and attach it to the side of the house and possibly the garage.

I've NEVER used a trail cam and don't even know how to work one... so I need some help. What would be a good one to get for about $40 or $50 and be reliable at the same time? Our car is garaged nightly with the doors and windows locked... so we have been spared (so far). I just want to help out the neighbors and police by capturing some scum in the act of snooping around. I guess this is what we get after the state decided to build a second prison in the county.

Any suggestions???

2. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had an extra one to send you for free. I hope yall catch the punk(s)

3. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Moultrie Premise its about $40 on ebay!

4. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The problem is with flash, they're going to see it, most likely, especially if it's a dark yard. The "black flash" cameras would be better but more expensive. Good luck either way.

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Black Flash"... I'll check those out. Thanks!!!
    Is that the same or near the infrared type?

6. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, hang it high...put it where they'd need a ladder to get it. You can always improvise to get it to tilt downward.

8. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't think a quick blink of a dim red light is going to catch anyone's eye if they're not expecting it - especially if it's hung high. And if they need a ladder to get to it...if they knew what it was, I don't think it would be worth their effort

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People in the area need to get sensor lights on their houses. Second, every vehicle needs to be locked. I cannot tell you how many firearms larcenies we work when people just leave their car doors unlocked with their guns inside. It is crazy.

Most guys that are good at committing auto larcenies cover their faces with hoodies and hands with gloves, or they simply wipe away their prints. Sometimes the idiots slip up and try and pawn stolen items with serial numbers already reported. It is very hard to catch them unless you do it in the act. That being said, we had an officer run down one guy the other day who was in the act of stealing stuff from cars. They implicated him and another moron in nearly a dozen auto larcenies. We all felt good about that one.