FNH FNS compact

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by trial153, Jun 20, 2015.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who has one? give me your thoughts if you used them, handled them or owned one...Is it the 9mm or .40 ?
    I am wanting a new compact (not sub compact) EDC in 9mm or .40...

Some one talk me out of the FHN ...

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will never use it successfully so buy what ever is sexy.

3. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    its sexy enough.....thanks

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read an article last week about the % of carriers that ever use their weapon to defend themselves, vs people who are actually prepared mentally to defend themselves with a hand gun and the % chance of actually hitting your target. I am not saying a person should not carry, but it is a pain to carry around and really what are the chances that things will go as planned when you need it?

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Carrying doesn't present a pain to me in the least. I would rather have it and not use it then need it and not have it. As for being able to hit what's needed when it's needed that's up to the shooter. But there Something to be said about muscle memory and the repetitive training process.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The goal of CC is to never have to use it, but the option to use it if you have to. The idea of not being a helpless victim as opposed to having the ability to protect yourself if you are ever put in that position. If you CC and don't practice then your an idiot, it's all about being prepared. Just carrying a gun is not enough, you need to train yourself to be able to react in an emergency situation.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me if I would use a weapon on an animal way more likely than a human. I live out in the country I try to avoid places that have the demographics that would cause me want or need to carry. I have no issue with those that carry, like others have said it takes practice and the mental capacity.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First: I pray everyday I don't have to use my CC...only time I want it leaving a pocket or waistline is to go to it's nightly resting place (outside of range visits of course).

That said my part time gig at the range let's me handle and shoot many guns...our rental case has the FNH in .40 and I've shot it some and handled it many a time.

Ergonomically - It's decent to good or if you like point scale (out of 5) 3 to 4. The only thing keeping it from a 4(good) is that I don't like the standard texture/stipling of the handgrip and I personally didn't care for the grip along the back sides of the slide for racking. It won't feel like a glove like a Walther does in my hand but it felt decent and comparable to my Glock19 which I love...I just like the G19 stock grip better (Gen 3 for note). If you've held a glock Gen4 it will feel similar with slight less forward hand lean as some claim the glock feels like in their hand.

Reliability - Our rental gun hasn't missed a beat at all. Only Federal and Blazer has ran through it and both without issue. I don't hesitate to expect reliability issues out of the gun.

Trigger - Very comparable poundage break feel to my G19...would take an instrument to know for sure which is breaking lighter stock. I personally prefer the feel of not having the "trigger safety" on the FN but I think the Glock wins out just slightly on the reset so if you've shot a G19 expect a similar all around trigger with maybe a longer reset...maybe.

Accuracy - Every gun made by a reputable company deserves a 5 here....it is the shooter that makes them inaccurate.

Accessories - Just as nearly any manu now, you can get Trijicon's (night sights) thrown on the pistol factory. Other than sights the FN has a large enough base to offer many options for upgrade or accessorizing these days.

Overall, if you are in the market for a pistol similar to this one, I'd line up offerings also by other manufacturers and let ergonomics and feel in your hand decide because being blunt it is a wash IMO as for true specs on any of the same family guns by S&W, Ruger, Glock, Walther, FNH, Springfield....personal choice and budget makes the decision.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh forgot to add...for some aggressive grips are fine and I love them in my smaller pistols but some find them uncomfortable when shooting...this pistol in .40 packs some snap and I know some people have spoken on that with the texture and the snap.

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I compared the FNS to the Glock 27 vs the Glock 19 however can understand the comparison. The aggressive texturing of the grip is something I have become comfortable with over the years so I don't see it as an issue. That said you making a good case for getting it in 9mm.....

Thanks for all your input!!

11. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own and carry an FNP-40. It's a great piece albeit at times cumbersome. I often contemplate trading it in for something in the 3" barrel range verses the 4". Other than that - it's a workhorse and it shoots tight!

12. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sold my FNS9 and bought a Gen4 G23 before I heard they were releasing the compact. I kick myself every day.

Need to sell this glock and get a FNS 40c

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like high praise

14. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong the Gen4 glock 40c shoots very nicely. MUCH better than the original FNH FNS40.

However I'm willing to go back to FNH for the FNS 40c for the following reasons:
    Two-tone
    Manual safety
    Newer design
    Ergonomics

I still need to actually shoot the FNH side by side with my glock

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info. I am going to put on on order. I think I am going to get in 9mm though, and hopefully I can hunt one down with out a safety

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Now I need stealth Gear to get one too so I can order a holster

17. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the full size 9mm and loved it.

18. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't shot the fns but I have shot the FNX. Both in 9mm. I really enjoy shooting the Fnx. Like stated before the trigger isn't walther(Ppq) trigger but honestly the FNH is built to be a combat gun not a competition gun. Overall it's a great gun. I like it so much my next purchase will be the FNX.

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I am really liking this gun. I just haven't found a weak point in yet. I ended up deciding on the 9mm. Vs the .40...So far I have put a little over 100 rounds of JHP through it, both standard and +p loads its a pleasure to shoot with any load so far. The trigger is excellent, about a good as you will find in a non competition factory trigger. The gun with a trio of magazines as well...The grip is....well really grippy, if you like a smooth purchase this isn't for you. However if you like them tacky...these fit the bill.... The size of the gun suits me perfect in an EDC, not overly small but other then looks its clearly a fairly compact gun. The only issue I may have is some tee shirt and shorts weather wear I might opt for a slightly smaller carry. However from sept to April in NY this suits me perfect. I can really see this displacing most of my other carry guns.

Call me nuts but between the FNS compact and the Glock 43 this is the best yearly release I have seen in years.