US Open

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by NY Bowhunter, Jun 20, 2015.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My second favorite tournament of the year on the PGA tour (aside from the Masters). Im not crazy about Chambers Bay. I don't like the crap shoot type of golf to decide a major championship. It looks and plays too much like a British Open too. I like to see the open be won by the best golf being played rather than the better fortunate bounces and what way a putt wiggles. The greens are awful IMO. The afternoon players that have to play on the poa are at the mercy of what way the ball wobbles. You can have perfectly struck putts with speed and line and whether it goes in or not is determined by what piece of broccoli it hits. Especially on downhill putts where you can't hit them with pace to overcome that. Fox coverage sucks as well. I don't want to listen to Joe Buck cover golf. I don't want to hear NFL updates between coverage.

Ok rant over lol. That being said Jordan Spieth just dunked back to back 40 footers for birdie on 2 and 3. Watch out!! The kid is on fire and poised to win his second major. While I do dislike the course to decide a major championship, it is fun to watch how unique the design is. Should be an interesting finish tomorrow.

2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm rooting for Jason Day.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The conditions are the same for every golfer so it is difficult stop complaining and hit the ball and put it in the hole.

4. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah everyone understands that. Host the John Deere classic or something. Not a major golf championship.

5. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with your rant. This is one of my favorite tournaments and Fox/Joe Buck/Links style is ruining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is our national tournament, and I'd like to see an American win for sure. FOX is out of its depth here as is Joe Buck, though I do love links golf and golf courses, just not courses that have a seventy story elevation change in a god awefully long 10 mile loop. I suppose that's what you get when you strip a former rock quarry. It was funny watching the players shots react like they were in a pinball machine.

7. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If DJ keeps hitting his driver like he has, it's going to be REALLY hard to beat him. What an advantage over the field. Mcillroy could have shot somewhere around 63 yesterday on normal greens. That would've been cool to see him in the mix on Sunday as well. But... still a nice leader board. I think Johnson wins it.

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Felt bad for Dustin Johnson last night. He is gonna be seeing that 3 putt in his dreams for quite a while.

9. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was pulling for Spieth but didn't really want to see him win like that.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the conditions are the same for every golfer. Ridiculous. To hit a drive dead nuts up the middle of the fairway and then be at the mercy of what humps and bumps it hits on a parched fairway is a marble game. Perfectly struck shots that roll more than 60 yards out of the middle and then end up in trouble turns a major championship into a game of skill with a huge dose of luck. I would rather not see luck play such a huge roll in crowning the champion. The greens were miserable and more especially for the top players late in the day. When a green leaves visible footprints in the crusty surface, you have taken away an element of skill and introduced a lot of luck. Why not just have them play Plinko on the Price is Right to crown a champ.

If you cant tell........I thought the course was beyond stupid. That being said, it was the first time in years that I watched multiple hours of the tournament. Mostly, shaking my head in disbelief. It was kind of like a train wreck, you just had to look to see the carnage.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought Fox's coverage was the best golf coverage I've ever seen. The hosts were terrible. But the audio, commercial free for the last 5 holes or so and the ball tracker was top notch and a cut above the rest. Did you hear that ball drop into the cup and knock around? It was awesome. Show me where the hole is on those hard to see shots. Wonderful from a viewing perspective.

12. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree about the course. Just fix the greens, I like the rest.

FOX was TERRIBLE except for some of the technology. I love seeing the shot trajectory. I wish NBC or CBS would do that more. The whole FOX team was out of their element. The camera guys were really struggling to find the tee balls. Commercial free for the final few holes was nice.

I'm a fan of Jordan Spieth the golfer and the person. An EXCELLENT young role model. Dustin Johnson struck the ball better than anyone. He just couldn't putt worth a lick. He had so many opportunities Sunday and especially on the back 9. He just couldn't get the ball in the hole. How about Louis shooting 77 Thursday and finishing second. That guy was rolling

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Announcer staff horrible. My wife also commented on the fans hooting and hollering, more than once suggesting they should be removed...she's from Augusta so....

14. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cousin is a golf pro in Florida and we were talking about it and he was highly disappointed in Fox and said they really let down the U.S. Open

15. NY Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that is going to sting for quite some time.

I thought it was just me, but I mentioned that as well. Seemed like a lot of it going on. More than usual.

While I hated seeing a finish like that, hats of to Spieth. The young man is off to some career. I don't think the Open will be back at Chambers Bay anytime soon.

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think Reed showed pretty strong the first 2 1/2 days. Likely from time in Europe. It'll be interesting to see if he can get it all together before The Open.