I thought Tiger Woods wasn't coming back to play until he was going to be competitive

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Jun 19, 2015.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He sucks. Bad!

[​IMG]

I don't hate the guy but this is a circus. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's a past champion that's why. It's what he lives for.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He lost his groove.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Understatement of the year. :lol:

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He lost his mojo when his reputation collapsed. In addition to that he has destroyed the moving parts of his body because of the way he used to swing to crush the ball. I don't think he's relevant in golf anymore, not even in the slightest. There's too many young up and comers. You hate to see when a professional athlete is the cause of their own demise, but he is a prime example.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Agree with everything 100%

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tiger sucks at golf right now. But, there is still more fan interest in him than any other player and it's not close. So, he is hugely relevant to golf.

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Being a competitive collegiate golfer, I can relate to what he's going through. The adrenalin you get from competing is addictive, and you always want more once you win! It's tough to handle when you are used to dominating but suddenly you have trouble just simply competing.

At the start of this season his swing looked as good as it ever has, and it still looks awesome while on the range practicing. His major downfall is that he has lost his creativity/feel within the game. Mechanical swings only get you so far in the game. I still think he can make a comeback, and I hope he does

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe where you're from, around here everyone likes Spieth, Mickelson, Watson, Scott, or McIlroy and no one could care less about Tiger anymore.

EDIT: Let me put it this way, liking Tiger is like liking Tim Tebow, no matter how many people like him or why they like him, he's not relevant to the actual game. Does he bring in viewers? Sure, but he's irrelevant otherwise. He's missed more tournaments than he has finished in the top 25, so how is that make him relevant when he's not even on TV or finishing the tournaments?

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If Tiger can put his game back together, Sunday TV ratings of golf would go up.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

A better comparison is Kobe Bryant... an all time top 5 great at their respective sport at the tail end of their career... it's tough to watch them play and not be the same as when they were at their peak.

Tim Tebow isn't a fair comparison for a top 2 golfer of all time and arguably the most dominant athlete of ANY sport when he was at his peak. People truly feared him on the course and he was near unbeatable.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has nothing to do with where I'm from. Tiger and Mickelson are the two biggest draws in golf even through Tiger's decline. It has nothing to do with liking Tiger either. Like him or hate him he is the most polarizing player in the sport. Comparing the most dominate golfer of the modern era to a football player who nobody wants to watch play and has never been good (as a pro) is an odd comparison to say the least. Tiger sucks in recent tournaments but played pretty decent at the Masters. There still may be some hope for him to turn things around. 39 is not over the hill in golf and he is only 2 years removed from being #1 player in the world.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Kobe is a better comparison - Tebow was a bad one but you got my point. Either way, no one I know watches golf to watch Tiger. Polarizing as he may be, I just disagree, I think he's done.

14. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's toast. It's kind of a shame really. He was (IMO) the best athlete at his sport in the history of sports. What he did back in the day we will never see again. The iron delivered to his SUV that night was the end of Tiger. I said it at that point and I'll continue to say it. He got knocked off his high horse. No longer invincible and nobody fears him anymore. Translated to his golf game. Way to many gremlins and things going on upstairs to ever get it back. Mix that with 15 different swing thoughts going through his brain at the hands of way too many "swing coaches" and that is not a good recipe to play golf. It's almost painful listening to his interviews now.

A better comparison would be Mike Tyson.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agree almost 100%. If he could start with a touch of humility and focusing on really working hard I think he could make a rebound-to at least be in the hunt.

I do think he was, at the time, the top player of his game. The Michael Jordan of golf. IMHO-He is a train wreck and still an ***.

16. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen every great golfer from the big three, Palmer, Player, and Nicklaus, to all of Tigers contemporaries in person, and Tiger is undoubtedly IMO the greatest golfer of them all. He was number one longer than anyone ever, and I think he can still find his way back.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  17. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Respectfully disagree.... ZERO chance. Enter the new era.

18. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A player of his caliber, and you say zero chance? If he gets one good tournament where he wins one, he could go on a tear.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's done.

His body is breaking down and the fear from other players is gone. No chance.

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bump. LOL

[​IMG]

Swamp Stalker likes this.