Hunting stories

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by patches2565, Jun 18, 2015.

1. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So last year was only my second year deer hunting archery style, I can say for certain that I'm not ever going to do it differently. Any way I was sitting in my blind and a nice mature doe approached, I got set up, picked a small point to hit and drew the death stick back. Out of the blue her very young fawn approached. Now I know I'll get the people saying that I should've shot her but for some reason I couldn't. I let my bow down and chose to relax and enjoy nature. I'm glad I did because right after that I saw a group of turkeys come in. The fawn got all crazy an started playing with the birds. I immediately recorded it and showed my wife. She said "that is amazing" I said "that's hunting".

I shared this with you because mainly I'm bored and love talking hunting and because I want to hear about weird run ins you might have had.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let anybody tell you any differently about what makes hunting enjoyable for you. I probably would've done the same thing that you did. For me it's never just about the kill. It's so much more than that. I enjoy every aspect, from checking cameras, patterning certain bucks, hanging stands, etc. If I ever get to the point where I'm just there to kill and don't enjoy my hunt for what it is then that will be the day that I stop hunting.

3. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it was a cold January day. After school I put my hunting clothing on cocked my crossbow and went to my favorite hunting spot in the woods behind my backyard. It is a small woods and I had the deer patterned perfectly. I knew they were gonna walk the trail I was sitting over around 5 PM. At about 4:55 PM I heard some leaves crunching and had a huge doe come in with two other smaller does. I got my Barnett Quad 400 and started aiming at the big doe. Suddenly I heard a grunt and saw another deer come in and chase two of the does away. I took my face away from the Crossbow and realized it is one of the two good bucks I was hunting. The buck that was standing in front of me was a 2.5 year old 6 point. The other deer that I actually thought I would see that day was a Monster for my area, he was 4-5 year old 11 point and about 130". Since I was still trying to kill my first buck I got my face back to the scope and aimed for the 6 points vitals. I pulled the trigger and my Bolt tipped with a Rage SS 2-Blade hit the buck but as the arrow hit the deer I suddenly saw sparks flying just like Chipper Jones from Buck Commander saw when he killed that Texas Buck on his Ranch. About 5 minutes later I got out of my climber and walked back to my house to tell my family about what just happened. At 30 minutes later we went back to my spot and started tracking. The first minute we didn't find anything but suddenly we just started seeing huge splatters of blood. After tracking for about 20 more yards I saw my first buck laying in a little ditch. I looked at the wound and noticed he had about a 3" exit hole which was caused from a 1.5" cutting diameter, he also was a 7th point that you can't see on the video.

The next day I went out to the same spot again and hoped I would see the 11 point. I didn't see him but I saw 12 other deer.

A week later I pulled my camera card and noticed that the buck dissappeared 3 nights after I killed my buck. I never saw that buck again but you know what I had a buck and that was worth not getting worried about the other buck.

About 2 weeks later, on the last day of the season, I went back to the spot and killed a monster Alabama doe. She weighed about 227 pounds.

This was pretty much a wrap up of my 2014-2015 deer season.

Both of these videos below where taken sometime during November. The dates are waaay of.

7 point I killed

11 Point that dissappeared

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. I hope for something similar this season

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

5. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    I took a lot of hell but I was the only one from work with meat in the freezer.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

6. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a monster doe no matter where you are!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll share my story that I have told a million times but it truly is what us passionate bowhunters live for. I live and hunt in central Wisconsin. I worked full time and it was second week in November. Passionate bowhunters know that November 1st-15th are the days we live for. I was sitting at work Friday and it was a HUGE snowstorm rolling in and I was just anxious for 6pm to drive an hour to the hunting land. This snowstorm we were projected to get like 30" of snow by Saturday morning. I left work and started my drive. It took about 2 hours to get their as the roads were horrible. As I arrived, My dad made it ahead of me and we both standing in our cabin looking out the window seeing everything covered in white.

I will never forget this part as my dad looked at me and said exactly what I was thinking. "The deer are going to go crazy and move big time tomorrow after this storm blow's through". Our blood was flowing and it really made us anxious.

Morning came and the storm has gone. It was "Dead silent" in the woods as I walked to my little portable stand already setup in the woods. Even though it was still dark outside you could see pretty good with everything being covered in white.

I was all setup and about 20 mins after dawn I had a small 4 point come in to about 20 yards and bed down by me. His back was covered in snow and his little antlers even had layers of snow on the. He bedded by me for about 40 mins within easy shooting range but wasn't what I wanted to harvest as I knew we had bigger bucks running around.

Standing up on my little portable stand I finally started to let the nerves relax as that buck essentially fell asleep next to me. (you literally could see him doze in and out)

This is when all hell broke lose :) All of a sudden you hear this running through the woods. I turn my head behind me and here is this tiny little doe running in my direction behind me going past me about 35-40 yards. (just out of my range of 30 yards)
    Behind that little doe was this Monster 10 point about 4-5" outside the ears and shorter tines. This buck went 200+ pounds and was followed by 2 130-140 class 8 pointers, 2 fork horns, and a spike. I was standing facing them and got ready as my arrow bounced up and down on my little prong rest. The big 10 pointer stopped and turned back to the 2 8 pointers and bowed his head and grunt snort wheezed with a big stomp of his foot. He showed them,"I'M THE BOSS!" They both backed down instantly.

After watching them just out of my range for maybe 2 minutes I look down and here is a 1 horner that is foaming at the mouth from running and has a hole in the side of him bleeding from getting poked by another antler. I'm guess he got too close to the women.

This morning hunt will stick with me until the day I die. At one point I had 8 different bucks by me. Some within shooting range and some just outside my range. After about 10 mins when those deer moved on, another 8 pointer that probably went 140 ran by on the same trail the doe and other bucks went.

This hunt is what showed me really what the rut is all about. Not every year is like this but it keeps me going back.