Arrow Rest Problems

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jpeeples, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a PSE Drive bow that I bought from a friend. I had to adjust the draw weight down and shorten the draw length. I then had to move my nocking point down to align my arrow with the tuning marks on the bow. I have a Trophy Ridge Revolution rest and shoot Easton Axis 400 arrows with 2" Blazers fletching.

My problem is that my fletching is hitting the rest and ripped one off. Arrows not 3 days old and shot maybe 6 times... (yes I was mad) I tightened the cord to ensure my rest is fully cocked. I then had to adjust the rest down a tad bit to re-align the arrow back to the tuning marks. I tried turning the nock so that the odd color is turned out (as my friend suggested it to be). Nothing seems to help. My Easton arrows are a smaller diameter than the Carbon Force arrows he shot in the bow so it seems there should be that much more clearance. I have also read a comment when I Googled this problem that the Revolution Rest doesn't have the clearance for 2" Blazers. I have a Whisker Biscuit from a youth bow I practiced with last year to see if I would be interested in bow hunting. I can put it on my PSE if need be. I don't have the money to buy a new rest at this time.

Questions:
    1. Whisker Biscuit, good idea or not in my case seeing I cant buy a new rest?

2. My longest shot would be 25 yards. At that range, would the WB shoot accurately? (had no problems with shot groupings with youth bow and WB)

3. I have researched the WB and see that it shaves 4 to 6 fps from the arrow speed, is it worth the drop in speed.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Or if there are other options that I am not thinking of..

And by the way, I took my bow to have it adjusted and tuned to an outfitter and this is the end results. Try a different outfitter for adjustments?

And last, sorry for such a long post, has anyone had any experience with the Trophy Ridge Revolution 2 rest? It is supposed to have a little bit more clearance. And I really like the design and function of the Revolution. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First to save money and not use the WB go to another store. Ask some of the guys and gals in your area that hunt with a bow who is good to go too. I have not used this rest but also don't like WB at all. I have a NAP 360 arrow rest and it works very well. (after calling the company to ask how to fix my problem.) The other thing to do is call the company tell them what you are shooting with and what is happening. They could probably help you with your problem. If not start looking for a cheap rest on line or on here.

3. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the sight people are very good here. You are in the right place.

4. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a revolution and it destroyed vanes. I then acquired an NAP Apache and will not look back.

Also I blew through a deer while using a WB. My advice is do what you want. I personally love drop away style rests.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

5. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using whisker biscuits since I bought my new bow almost 7 years ago now. I've never had a problem with them in any way. In fact I just replaced my first one as it was finally getting worn out.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be afraid to switch to the WB. It has both advantages and disadvantages when compared to a drop away. Bottom line is that it all boils down to personal preference.

At the 3d shoot yesterday, WB far outnumbered any other kind of rest. Just limited observation. Not a scientific study. :)

7. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update.. I switched to the WB and then took it to a different outfitter. He tuned my bow and said that it should even shoot a little quieter. I sighted my top pin at 20 yards, the second at 30, and the 4th at 40.

I placed my target at my salt block and climbed my stand which is 18 yards away. I was hitting on average a half inch above the bullseye.

I am well pleased. Thanks for all the advice. I am now ready for deer season... Come on August 15th..

8. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice. Happy hunting. How high up were you?

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

9. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    15 ft I actually have my front sight pin at 20 paces that are really close to a yard and my salt block is at 18 paces. I measured my 20 paces with a tape measure and came up about 8 inches short of 20 yards.

10. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. This year is my first in a tree and I'm pumped

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

11. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year also. Hunting with a bow that is. Have hunted all my life. The more I shoot my bow, the more I am addicted.. lol

When does your season start? Ours is Aug 15th - Jan 1st unless the 1st falls on a Sunday, then its the 2nd ;)

12. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opens here the 2nd Saturday in Sept ...

13. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where is here? I'm from Barnwell SC. No limit on bucks plus we can buy 4 doe tags a year for 20 dollars and we have 10 or 12 doe days you can take 1 doe without a tag on those days. Used to be 12 days with 2 does per day.. but rules change.

14. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    In Spokane Washington early season is sept 1 through the 30th. Late is November 28th through December 15

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

15. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bet y'all have some nice size deer there...

16. patches2565

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they aren't bad. The blacktails are good size on the west side but the white tails are hit or miss. Nice racks but relatively small bodies. Nothing like The mid west and those giants

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

17. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't care for both, but I'd much rather shoot a biscuit than a drop away rest that is not getting fletching clearance. I've owned a revolution rest and it worked great first 100 shots or so. Then one time it didn't drop and then i had more problems with it dropping fast enough after that, so i switched. If the biscuit is in good shape, it will work just fine. I know several people that love them. You will lose a little speed and it will effect your arrow groups somewhat, especially at distances past 30 yards. Shots closer than that you won't notice that much.

18. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone else has said it's all personal preference. I still prefer a two prong rest over a drop away or biscuit. I really like drop aways, but I prefer to keep my set up as simple as possible. Every rest has pros and cons. Find a reputable bow shop that will let you try out some different models of rests to see what works best for you.

19. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had similar problems with the 2 inch blazers...no matter how,I tried tuning the nock and just couldn't get good clearance..so I went to Norway predator vanes great vanes shot good...then. decided to try Vantec vanes low profile and they were my final choice...,so if you like your rest and want to keep it...try fletching your own till you find one that works...I was also shooting of a WB . So try a few different vanes maybe have you local pro shop fletch up a few different vanes for you..just a idea..Rusty