Who has the itch? Practice is my key word this year.

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Keith Mako, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The itch is getting worse as the practice is getting better. I have a very tight group from 40yrds. I have been working on my form this year and tightened up my groups. I have been reading a lot on form and applying it in the field. I got into some bad habits in the off season and didn't shoot. When I finally did shoot it was horrible. I read up on some form articles and watching some youtube videos. I think I have fixed some of my habits but its all about practice.

2. mvksalsbury

mvksalsbury Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any good links for practicing I am new to archery and am working on proper form

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have the itch really bad too. Especially since I bought the Halon 6. I shoot this bow really well and I am SOOO looking forward to driving an arrow through something!

4. Tacksman

Tacksman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Please share the reads in regards to form. I could always improve.

5. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have the bug but this weather has me limited to shooting in my shop only 20 yards my groups are great. Cant wait to stretch it out

6. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb release two years ago and I find my anchor point feels more solid, and I feel it's just more enjoyable to shoot that way, in my opinion. I find that I look forward to practicing a lot more than I used to. Like a lot of long-time bowhunters I started with fingers on a Bear Whitetail bow 35 years ago, switched to a trigger release about 10 years ago and now I'm doing the thumb release. I'm going to try the back tension release soon because I'm eager to learn the way the pros do it, and because I'm always trying to become more and more accurate. So try a thumb release. I think you'll like it.
    I'm anxious to see if Todd and Justin are going to make the switch (has Justin already?) and what they have to say about it.

7. x ring300

x ring300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here bad habits and need more practice

8. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Make it a point to shoot 20 arrows a day and I hope its helping, seems to be . Got to have discipline. Have fun talk to you later

9. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Arm's still bug me but I'm shooting my Martin Fire cat target. At least getting some arrows shot . T star just had cables changed shoots good but needs some more work. Always something.

10. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started shooting I had the same problem. I started out with a Darton lightning I think 65 % let off and let me tell you it was on the spongy side towards the back wall smooth draw cycle but but spongy at full draw. My groups where at best within 3inches at 30 yards within 2 inches at 20 and below that I got my first robin hood. I think that older bow really groomed me for the newer technology the better let offs etc. Because I rarely can shoot groups without banging up my other arrows. I was pulling 70 pounds with my lightning. Maybe I form some bad habits maybe I didn't but I got stronger and therefore I was able to be more steady with a better piece of equipment in my hand. Practice is key to performance and overall bad form will definitely effect your shot anchor Point release etc it's all gotta work together oh and a finely tuned rig

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

11. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    over 90 degrees here just about everyday Its still June No itch yet

12. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Purchased half dozen Gold tip 400 and talked to my pro shop owner about lighted sight pin for my target bow he said to use some whiteout on pin it should help also lower my hunting bow weight to 48# till I get my arm back in shape .Got keep these vintage archery products shooting including me lol.

13. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having a hard time dragging myself outside. It's still in the high 80s at night.

14. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting bow is back in order

15. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Today got my sight tape marks correct . Great at 20 yards good at 30 & 40 . Can shoot 50 but needs some work. Lost two arrows at 50 over bunker . Found both but one is another arrow I lost earlier .Need to weed wack behind bunker and would help to put up arrow stop on top of bunker.

16. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Just shot a 3d tournament good round but was kind of rough all 30 yard shots almost. my question is my twenty yard mark on my tape is dead on .My 30 40 50 marks need windage adjustment .How can Ido this with one pin.plus some elevation adjustment which I can do.

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoulder feels great. Maxed my limbs back out to 62#. French tuned. Bam. I can't wait.

18. x ring300

Dislikes Received:
    Was shooting and just shot my 5th Robin hood and missed a triple by inches .Finally I think I back to where I want to be

19. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great googely moogley it's hot. Get off a few shots and I'm dripping like I've been in a sauna.

Bow_Diddley_2016-Aug-21.jpg

20. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to practice every day(when not working 12’s or its raining), one week with the recurve, next week with the mongolian, week after with the long bow, then back to the recurve again.