PA Sunday Hunting Bill

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by PinkPony, Jun 17, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    http://abc27.com/2015/06/16/pa-lawmakers-unveil-sunday-hunting-bill/

They're trying again. I don't see why it is such a hard decision - especially with the income and jobs it'd produce. PA has (I believe) the highest amount of hunters. It is a way to get families together.

We will see.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand this last paragraph:

"Pennsylvania Farm Bureau opposes any expansion of the current Sunday hunting laws. A spokesperson said farmers typically work every day of the week, but tend to seek peace and quiet on their farm or use their property for recreation purposes."

Passing Sunday hunting will not force anyone to let people use their property on Sunday's, they can say no. I have a lot of respect for farmers, but they should not be able to decide if I can hunt public land on Sunday's. With my work schedule unless I take vacation I get one day a week (this profession is my choice so I am not complaining). I would love the extra day, it's honestly the main reason I hunt in Ohio.

3. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    That statement doesn't make sense to me, etiher. Especially since they could easily say no to any day of the week.

This "Their measure would allow the Pennsylvania Game Commission to decide what game could be hunted and which seasons would be open on Sundays." kind of makes me wonder what their thought behind it is.

I love how some comments state that an extra day isn't needed, if you want to hunt you will find time.

ETA; Someone posted this on my Facebook and wrote "I don't believe in this...animals need a day to rest"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've talked to a few farmers about their views on Sunday hunting and a lot of them are okay with the idea. I think that if you have written permission to Sunday hunt you should be allowed. Also, why cant you hunt private property and state game lands on Sundays. Me hunting on my own property doesn't affect the farmers.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Most farmers I know would be okay with it too. Deer damage so many crops around here that they wouldn't mind the open season.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's absurd they even still have a Sunday hunting ban. Some people only have the weekends to hunt and they're limiting them to just one day. It's one of those weird hunting laws like other states that don't allow "electric equipment" on a bow like a camera or lighted nock...completely baffling to me.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been on a Facebook PA deer hunting page and it's crazy the arguments people have against it. Safety, giving the deer a rest day, church, day of rest for people, deer numbers, etc.

It's sad seeing people scratch and claw against something that would be great for PA. It's also sad that the Farm Bureau is fighting this for some reason? While they complain about crop damage, they're also trying to stop sunday hunting? Seems fishy to me.

8. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can see where they are coming from for rifle season because people tend to hunt in groups and I guess rifles can be loud. Bow hunting is usually solo and silent. Its ridiculous honestly.

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the day that sunday hunting becomes legal all those hipocrits that were against it will be out there on sunday hunting away. the church goers will be running to the stand as soon as they get home from church. and when I sit in a stand it is definitely my day of rest, can't get more relaxing. my buddy has a dairy farm and he runs to his stand every day in between chores so if he could get another day to have a three hour hunt he would be all for it. PA has and always will be behind times!

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    ...just bought our tags for this year. $140 for two people who hunt everything (gun, archery, waterfowl). Only being able to hunt 1-2 days a week, that made me cringe. (Yes, I realize we are cheaper than a lot of states)