Introduction from New York

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by steintp5052, Jun 16, 2015.

1. steintp5052

steintp5052 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I say New York everyone thinks the city. Well I live in Western New York which is the farthest thing from the city. Where I live its flat farm land with small blocks of woods/funnels (300 acres is very large, most blocks of woods are 80-50 acres).

I grew up on an 8000 tillable acre farm and approx. 2000 huntable acres. All which as stated before are small hedgerows/blocks. And I know it sounds like a lot of land but there is huge hunting pressure both trespassers and family and the deer are very alert to humans.

Now I know all over the country everyone reads that NY is one of the TOP four WORSE states for whitetail hunting. Now I don't know who does those stats because unless youre hunting the adirondaks you have as good of hunting here as any other state in the country. Though our hunting pressure is much higher and our 3+ year old deer arent as populated as those other states; we still kill many 120-145" bucks every year. And I video and see many 150+ inch bucks ( Ex. see profile picture). Me personally Ive killed a 120-145 inch buck the past five years, and have picked up many 50-75" sheds.

I put tons of hard work in especially into plots. I guess you can say working the land is in my blood. And I have tested a million seeds and a million combination of seeds. I do plots for both early season, late season and I especially do plots for sheds as I would rather hunt sheds than bucks.

I guess comment any questions you have about NY in general, the hunting, seasons, plots in New York, what works, what doesnt. I think I can point you in the right direction.

And one last thing I need to know where Todd gets those prescription GOGGLES! I need a pair for shooting skeet/archery as I keep looking though my nose peice of my glasses and missing my target! So help me out please!

Thanks hope ya all enjoyed and hope to hear from you all!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! Sounds' like you're doing well in NY :tu:

Here's the company that todd gets his goggles from: http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/

I know the model he used to have was the Horus, but I don't think they make that anymore.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I'm from northern VT, and I'll take the claim to fame on the top 1-2 worst deer hunting states! Put it this way, a lot of locals hunt NY including the ADK park and they consider that great hunting! Luckily I'm fortunate enough to get to hunt he Midwest a bit and hunting VT is more about family and tradition. We own roughly 500 acres, mostly wooded, was a small family dairy farm 30+ years ago (great grandparents). We do make an effort to put in some food plots and run a few cameras. What is your favorite plot combo for sept-dec?
    And I don't know where Todd gets his goggles but if I needed them I would want to know!

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff man! Sounds like you are def doing your part...keep at it! Wish I was out by you and had that much land to work with! Welcome aboard from a fellow New Yorker! :tu:

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I've done quite a bit of deer hunting in Cayuga county... love it out there.

6. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    welcome aboard

7. steintp5052

steintp5052 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ---I assume this is how you reply, not exactly sure how this thread works but still trying to figure it out---

But for sept-dec months it depends on location/surrounding food/your use. usually my sept-early nov I use a blend of home made mix of ladina white clover, magnum red clover, some chicory (if in store), and some crimson clover (Mainly in micro/under an acre plots). because crimson clover tends to go to seed quick and if not mowed often the deer will not use as much as the red/ladina clover. But the key to making this plot last nov-dec is; in sept adding wheat seed or triticale to the clover. The wheat or triticale will help to make the clovers stand up once snow comes instead of flattening out. Plus I find many sheds in winter wheat.

If you have ever used turnips they are great for once the frost and snow comes. I use them with chicory and wheat as more of a "winter" plot. It takes a year or two of planting them before the deer REALLY start using them.

8. steintp5052

steintp5052 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I'll check it out!

9. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome !!!