beginner; need to make the most of the bow I got

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by twd000, Jun 14, 2015.

1. twd000

twd000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I had an impulse to try some archery. I got on Craigslist and bought a used bow (primary criteria: left-handed). I got a Hoyt Maxxis 31 which I'm told is a high-quality bow, and 4 practice arrows. The first problem I ran into, the guy who used it before me must have been much stronger and shorter than I am! I took it to a local shop and the guy was as helpful as he could be. He dialed it back to 58 lbs and lengthened the draw as much as he could with the current hardware. He still thinks I need to back it down to 45 lbs and another 1" of draw length to be properly setup. Yes, I know I am a pathetic weakling, and I need to build up my archery muscles. But I need to be able to put some arrows down-range with accuracy and good form, and work my way up to hunting specs. So my question is, do I need to sell this rig and buy something more appropriate for a beginner, or is there some way to set it up so I can grow into it?

Specs:
    Hoyt Maxxis 31
    XTR Cam & 1/2
    XR-2E-BL
    XR2-BL (set in position E)

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It does no good to practice with poor form, it is easy enough to develop ticks or mistakes in form trying to do it right. If I had to choose between too short of a draw length or a little too heavy draw, I would take the heavy draw, you can grow into that. The anchor point being correct and consistant is one of the most fundamental basics of shooting a bow accurately. The guy at the bowshop sounds like the kind of person you won't regret listening to.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^Yep, what he said. Also, in addition to just dialing in the bow, did he inspect the cams, limbs, and string for wear or damage? Snapping a string or cracking a limb as a beginner would be quite the turnoff to archery.

4. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    learning proper form and technique are more important then anything else.... bad form is a lot harder to correct then learning right ni the first place... that being said, for proper learning the bow needs to fit you correctly or you will do/learn bad form to compensate... my advice is get a bow that fits first and foremost... 3 options... cheepest but not the best is a longer D loop to add length to the draw... second is not real expensive and lot better is order the proper cams for your draw length and have them installed and tuned to your bow... third and best option is visit multiple shops, test shoot lots of different bows set to your draw and all set at the same poundage, find the one that feels best for you and buy that bow... if going with the new bow option, I would get one with cams set for the 50-60 pound range... start at 50 lbs, practice, practice and practice some more.. as you build the muscles in you back and arms, you can up the poundage to 55 then 60... at 50 lbs it's good enough for deer with well placed shots... as you get stronger and better, 60 will take down elk and black bear... just remember ... practice, practice practice practice... good form.... and enjoy your new sport :)

5. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What smoke said. Can't say much more than that. ^^^^

6. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. I was the same way and by doing what these people have been saying and practicing I have worked my way up. It'll all come together eventually.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

7. MMcRobie

MMcRobie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You've gotten great advice above. Don't worry much about the draw weight. At 45 you are still able to ethically kill a deer. Keep your shots to a reasonable distance, use some sharp fixed blade heads and put the arrow in the right spot. You'll have nothing to worry about.

8. Unscripted Outdoors

Unscripted Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 14 years old and I shoot a mission craze witch is one of the most vercitle bow on the market with a 25-35 inch draw length and 20-70lbs draw weight. Ive been shooting the bow for almost 4 years with no problems. if you are getting into bow hunting and even 3d shooting this is a great bow for you.

9. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all the above also. Great advise from great guys. I am new to archery also and these guys helped me out...

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum. I really can't add much to what everyone else said. Good luck anyway.

11. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That maxxis depending on the cam only gets about 2 to 2.5 inches of adjustment by using different modules...if it is a #2 Cam you'll be topped out at 28" but if it is a #3 cam you can get mods all the way up to 30inch... but the whole draw weight thing is the real problem... your limbs are only 10lb adjustment it is probly a 70# max and the tech just turned it down to the limit which safely would be around 58-60 so I'd sell it. It costs almot 200$ for new limbs that are lighter weight

12. scoot720

scoot720 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One of the most valuable things I had when first starting out wasn't bought, it was a good mentor. I'm still a big believer in learning from an elder no matter what you're learning. Experience is the best teacher and the experienced make the best teachers

13. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All great advice but I second what others have said don't worry about your draw weight as much as you should your form. I started out last year and got a brand new bow and had to dial it back to 50 lbs and I'm a big big guy. And my 16 year old brother is shooting 70 lbs. that will mess with you. You just have to work in to it like anything else. Confidence and form is key in making clean ethical shots. Good hunting

14. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and good luck.