Missouri Hunting report

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mossyoakdreamseason, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mossyoakdreamseason

mossyoakdreamseason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OK guys, I have had a problem finding Mo reports for deer during bow season. So I figured I would start one. If your from MO and have time to share what the deer are doing in your area post it up. I always like to see the changes during the weeks of Oct. For me I got to hunt three times last week and was lucky to see deer every time I was in the stand. We passed on a 135 that was young and took a doe that was coming into acorns in Central Mo. As far as bucks go, I noticed the batch groups area split and the larger bucks area hitting the food plots and acorns a lot. I have not seen a scrape yet but have a feeling with the low temps they are just around the corner. What are they doing in your area??

2. ldawg

ldawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Still on acorns heavy in my lease in central MO as well in east/central. However, the corn has not been harvested. Shot a 135 on Saturday and he had a 110 with him. So, I guess some batch groups are still hanging out. He was full of big white oak acorns. I haven't found any scrapes or rubs yet in either location.

3. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt in south central MO there are very, very few acorns this year. Hunting is tough right now. The woods are still green and thick and
    movement has been minimal. We're having a difficult time finding any pattern at all. There are no crops what so ever there either so they are mostly eating browse.

4. mudnation 1

mudnation 1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    southwest missouri there are acorns everywhere no large buck sightings yet but in my nanny spots the does are moving around 5:00 vacuming up the acorns. Shot one doe for the freezer I was up in northwest atchison county this weekend and hadnt seen any bucks moving in the light. Several doe in the beans though.

5. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunted once in September and didn't see a deer. Too much corn up around the spot I hunted. I should've sat on the acorns that morning. Have been seeing them in the beans every evening driving home. With temps like we're having I'll have to get out quite a bit in October. I usually wait until the 3rd week to hit it hard.

6. MOarcher

MOarcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went Saturday evening in Central Missouri and didn't see a deer. I sat what is usually a very productive stand, but this time not a single deer showed up. Just curious, said you hunt central MO, what part are you hunting? I live in Loose Creek, but hunt Callaway and Boone counties. Might have to head to the Boone county farm this weekend.

7. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went bowhunting in Northwest MO for the first time this weekend. We saw deer every sit, but the warm weather on Sunday produced movement just at dark. On the more mild days we have been getting movement and seeing deer in the food plots all times of the day.

We didn't see any bucks while on stand, our trail cameras have produced some pics of nice bucks. However, 100% of our trail cam pics of bucks have been right at dark or during the night. No scrapes yet either.

Acorns are falling everywhere, there are lots of them. Hopefully the cooler weather this weekend will stir things up a bit.

8. mossyoakdreamseason

mossyoakdreamseason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 farms in Saline Co and 3 in Johnson Co

9. mossyoakdreamseason

mossyoakdreamseason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    9/30 -10/01

Well I got off work for a couple of nights. Went out on the morning of the 30th and watched two does with yearlings vacuuming up acorns. The morning passed with no bucks showing up. The night of the 1st was a little better with a small 8 coming in after the rain stopped.... Plan on going out tomorrow night despite the full moon..... I have the chance to drive and cover a lot of area after dark, while at work. I have noticed since Tues I have been seeing a lot of good bucks out moving after dark. I would say the ratio to does was about 3 bucks to does sightings for the PM hours. This is a drastic change from last week when I would see 4 or 5 does for every buck. ..... I'm not sure why the does are moving as well but I figure with the full moon and cold temps hunting in the mid day might pay off.....

10. mossyoakdreamseason

mossyoakdreamseason Newb

Dislikes Received:
    mossyoakdreamseason

The night of Oct 2nd was WINDY with cold temps. Got in the stand surrounded by white oaks and did nto see a deer until 6:35pm when 4 bucks came in to eat. The largest was a tight racked 2.5 year old ten. The others were 1.5 basket rack bucks. I was suprised to see them still together. As the bucks fed you could tell they were demanding their space and the larger of the four would run the little bucks off acorns several times.... Still no scrapes i have attached some stills from the camera that night.

Attached Files:

11. Jimmylong

Jimmylong Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went out tonight found two small scrapes in a funnel next to a bluff on the way to my stand awfully windy and a little chilly saw two does munching on some acorns haven’t seen any big deer yet.

12. stratofisher

stratofisher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tons of acorns in NW MO. Have seen very little scrape activity. Crops are getting harvested, but not an issue with the amount of acorns. No real pattern except for finding the white acorns. Full moon has driven more mid-day activity.

13. Joey Kerperien

Joey Kerperien Newb

Dislikes Received:
    found 2 scrapes and 2 rubs in southeast missouri. saw deer on my way to work this morning and that is the first time this year. colder weather should make some changes this week.

14. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping for this. Going out tomorrow morning, looks to be great temp wise. Will probably try to sit til 1-2pm at least.

15. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out this afternoon. We have a ton of acorns here in NW MO and there is starting to be more fields harvested than uncut forcing those deer back into the woods. This cold snap might get something up and moving more this evening. It is supposed to get down to 27 degrees tonight. I'm pretty excited to get out there tonight. Good Luck Missouri Hunters!

16. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a lot of beans around us. They're feeding heavy on the mass amounts of acorns we have, and the neighboring soybeans. The does are moving like stuff is about to happen, haven't seen a buck as of yet. I hoping for that to change tomorrow morning. :) Good luck guys!

17. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed to an uncut bean field tonight to try my luck. If I see some action I'll report back.

18. petersoch

petersoch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    NW Mo hunter; Oct lull in full swing; only seeing small bucks in bachelor groups. Doe are still tight nit and with youngin's... Headed tomo to do stand work and gear up for rut.

19. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting in Johnson County, seeing a lot of doe action and young bucks are moving in daylight. evenings over acorns seem to be doing better for more mature deer.

20. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out several times this year between Callaway and Franklin county. Only had 2 small bucks in range so far. I've only saw a few doe. Acorns are all over the woods.