Entitlement Era

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by NY Bowhunter, Jun 11, 2015.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She's right on all accounts. My parents never really physically disciplined me, they took more of a psychological. They set expectations for the way I should behave and when I didn't meet those expectations, I usually get a good long lecture about how my actions affected me, my family, my friends, and my future. To this day, I think before I do anything. I think, how will this affect me, my family and my future. I just plain don't make bad decisions that would adversely affect those things. They were never my friends, they were always my parents. They gave me everything I needed and most of what I wanted, but I always knew it came with a price, so I didn't take them for granted.

Parents need to realize that parenting is the number one most important thing they will do in their lifetime. They need to put themselves second and put their child's development as their number one priority. If they would do that, we'd have a lot less problems in our society.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Loved the article and loved Sky's breakdown above as well.

I am the generation that this all began to swing in....half of my class were raised as we should have been, and granted our parents at times were viewed as the evil or "un-cool" parents by others, but in the end I'm a better person thanks to my parents and how they raised me. I didn't always like it and at times I claimed to "hate" them...but now I understand everything they did had a purpose and that was to hopefully raise a young man who knew nothing was free, respect is priceless and God is everything.