Release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jun 10, 2015.

?

Best hunting release

1. Tru ball

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. Scott single caliper

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Scott dual caliper

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Scott string loop

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Four finger

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. True fire

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  7. Hot shot

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best release. I'm looking to buy a new release because my old one broke. My question is what is the best brand and type of release. I think I want to stick with a wrist strap release because I see no real benefit to the four finger. Is there any benefit of a string loop release or a single or dual caliper release? Without money being a concern what would you recommend me?

2. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not saying that they are the best, but I've been using a TruFire Edge for the past 6-7 years. It's never given me a problem, and they have great customer service.

SCFox

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like scott. Best releases I've ever used.

4. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had used Scott for many years and loved it had great customer service and never let me down. This spring started shooting a 4 finger and it tightened my groups just slightly. I still make sure to shoot my scott every once in a while and carry it to the field in bottom of my pack in case of anything where to happen to my four finger.

5. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Four finger thumb release for me.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I prefer wrist strap index finger releases for hunting. I just like them better. I am shooting a Wolverine right now. If I pick up a light target bow this fall/winter I'll give thumb or BT releases another try.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure there's a clear cut answer to your questions. It seems that more and more hunters are beginning to prefer the thumb-trigger release, however I know a bunch of guys who simply can't get used to them and still prefer the security of the index finger/wrist strap release. It's really personal preference as to what feels right in your hand.

I switched to a thumb trigger primarily because I got sick of hitting my release on everything in sight while in the stand - including my camera gear. With the thumb trigger I can hook it up and it's ready to go when I need it. Not having a release strapped to my wrist on a cold day when I want to use a hand muff or keep my hands in my pockets is a great thing.

When it comes to a wrist strap release I've always preferred and had good luck with single calipers or string loops. When I switched to a thumb trigger I started out with a Tru-Fire Hardcore 4 finger and later switched to a Scott Exxus which I liked a lot more. I personally prefer a 3 finger release over a 4 finger as your pinky doesn't really do anything during the draw or shot process.

I just recently picked up a Hot Shot Vapor and a Hot Shot Tempest 3 finger. Both seem to feel a little better in my hand than the Scott and I like that the trigger engagement on the Tempest isn't quite as stiff as the Exxus. Having shot all three releases back to back to back for a few dozen arrows I think I'm leaning towards the Vapor as my release of choice.

8. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    equalizer. This thing is no joke. its not a gimmick. it works. I've been using it for a couple seasons now with no complaints. I love the plunger design and its secured by a string which basically eliminates torque. cant go wrong with increasing your arrow speed also. I didn't have to move my peeps either. only thing is its hard to get off with the 2 prong buckle but at least you know its not going anywhere.

http://www.goattuffproducts.com/index.php?op=14

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    switching back to my four finger thumb release this season. my old tru ball chappy!

10. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My last couple releases have been tru fire. I am currently using a tru fire hardcore I believe is the model. Single calliper and very smooth release. Tru fire also has great customer service and good warranty. I had an older tru fire release that I used for over 4 years and something was wrong with the trigger causing it to not close properly therefor the d-loop would slip thru when I drew the bow back. I sent it in and received a brand new one within weeks. I though that was great since the release was over 4 years old. I also like the feature that I've only see on tru fire releas - you are able to flip the front part of the release back towards your wrist allowing you to use that hand freely and without the release being in your way. I thought that's a nice feature. I've also had a Scott release before and I liked it also. My vote is for tru fire and if I was in the market for a new release I would go with the tru fire chicken wing.

11. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as a wrist strap release goes , for me it is Tru-Ball Copperhead .. I also like the Scott thumb 3 finger Exxus

12. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently using a Tru-Fire Patriot and can't really complain.

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be switching to the hotshot vapor here soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the TruFire Hardcore Max Foldback release. You can adjust the tension of the trigger to your liking. I also like being able to fold the release back to keep it from hitting things when I am in my tree stand.

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best wrist strap release is the Carter rx-1 hands down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk