Removing Arrow Nock

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jpeeples, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Trophy Ridge Revolution arrow rest. My friend, who I bought the bow from told me that the odd fletching goes to the outside. Well I bought 6 Easton Axis arrows and realized after I got home that the odd fletching has to be either up or down. Can anyone confirm that my odd fetching goes out with this rest, and how can I remove the nock to install them correctly. Thanks.

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The nock should not be glued into the arrow. You should be able to rotate the nock by hand. To remove the nock you should be able to pull it right out by hand.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As Blarney says, most nocks now insert into the arrow shaft (or part affixed) and can rotate. Wooden shafts or older aluminum, as an example, the nocks were glued onto the ends.

If you want/have to fix this, start with the expectation you may lose/have to replace the nock...having said that...

I'd first try grabbing (gently) the nock with pliers (or of you have a tool that holds the nock) and rotating the shaft (for leverage) to align nock and odd fletch. Sometimes a wrong sized nock was wedged in, crud may have built up and it just takes a smidge of persuasion. Some times the nock shatters, some times the nock shears if you use to much force.

If it breaks and was a glue on, clean it up and affix a new nock.

If it was an insert, I've had to occasionally and super carefully still out the knock from the shaft and replace.

4. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like the guys above said you can just spin it. I usually bite it and spin the arrow if I need to do it in the field or use the string to hold the arrow and spin it. I think there is a tool for it though.

You can also shot the cock feather up or down. The direction doesn't matter all that much. The important thing is to make sure that the feather or vane isn't contacting the rest when you shoot.

5. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Odd feather can go up, down or to the side.. it depends on how your bow shoots those particular arrows. My old bow as odd feather to the side.. my current bow/arrows want the odd feather up to shoot best. Practice with it and see what shoots the best.

Almost all new arrows, the nock spins with some pressure. Some are tighter and may require a nock tool or a pair of pliers applied gently. Worst case, you a key, but be careful not to break the nock.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ should work. If not, I take an old rag and double it over and grab the nock through the rag with pliers and pull them out. This way I don't damage the nock with the pliers.

7. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. When I got home I was able to turn the nock by hand. Was tough but got it. Again, thanks for all the advice. Bow seems to shoot well now without the fletching hitting the rest.