What is the best under garments for cold weather hunts?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Daryl Bell, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone, I'm taking a trip to MO this year during early Novemeber. I'm from lower Alabama and know that I am not prepared for that kind of cold. I'm trying to find the best long john type clothes for those kind of conditions! Thanks in advance!

2. Goin4-200

Goin4-200 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Under armour 4.0! Expensive but worth it and the 4.0 should be a little cheaper now that the 5.0 is out but they are basically identical. You will likely need another layer but that should really help keep the bulk down.

3. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its not so much about one layer as it is about multiple layers. You can't count on just one base layer to do the job in the winter you need to have a few layers under your pants and coat. If its really cold out I will wear UA as my base then I will put on long underwear and then sweat pants and a sweatshirt to wear under my bibs and jacket.

But as I read your post you are going to be hunting in the beginning of November so it could go both ways cold or a couple hours then your sweating. Good old fashioned Midwest weather

5. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used Under Armor cold gear, put waffle thermals over top of that, then my Army thermals over that.. layer up from there as you see fit. Fleece with a layer over top is also very warm. I go with layers.. can always remove a layer or 2 if needs be.

6. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Under Amour is on sale at Gander Mountain right now. Just purchased some hot and cold gear base layers.

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    UA Tree stand 5.0....worth every penny.

Sent from my XT830C

8. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might be over estimating the cold of early November in MO. yes there is a chance it will be cold and spitting snow, but by cold I mean mid 20's is likely the coldest you will see. more likely to be mid to low 40's and mid to low 30's if you're lucky to get the deer moving. I've sweat my butt off at 80+ degrees in the first week of November in NE MO! My first suggestion is Rain gear, good rain gear. Followed by layers, silk base layer is the most under rated item in hunting clothes, followed by fleece and wool. then rain gear, if you prepare for the cold you probably wont have to wear half of the clothes you bring. keep your feet warm with good rubber boots and wool socks and you will stay warm for the most part. An artificial source of heat like heated insoles and hand warmer packets, thermacare heat wraps around your kidneys will help tremendously. good luck!

9. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Drivetacks this dude is from So Alabama. Lows in the 30's might as well be single digits.

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree low 30's will be cold but not comparable to single digits! And you're right when I think cold I think -25 and how am I going to be able to draw my bow, and will the limbs hold up. I Killed a buck in sask with a rifle at -40, in a box blind with 2 propane heaters going, got up to around 0 in the blind! I haven't invested in one but from what I've read he might be wise to invest in a heater body suit and be covered.