Companies selling junk. Yep there is an antler on the bag.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sota, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was given a couple 5 pound bags of food plot seed. I am not going to flame a product because I have nothing invested. On the package it has jargon that states "Simple to plant" Perfect for hidden plots Proven to perform Easily grown blend of fast germinating forages. I looked all over the bag to see what was actually in the bag as far as seed content. I found it on the bottom of the bag in small print 67.01% Annual Ryegrass, I would not waste my time putting rye grass in any plot not even for free.

2. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rye grass you plant for your lawn and food plot rye grass are different. Me and a buddy have had great success planting winter rye and winter wheat when our food plots have not turn out so good. We spread winter rye in late September and the deer eat it right through winter. Not only do deer love it but it puts nitrogen back into the ground for the next years planting. You might e surprised at how well it attracts if you try planting it.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well aware between the difference I plant winter rye every labor day in the plot by the swamp. Rye grass is crap and most know it.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rye grass filler is an awesome way to make guys think the product is working as it will sprout up nearly anywhere...worthless though and no reason to have .01% in a food plot mix. :)

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The deer loved the rye when it was first coming up but as soon as it got established they really didn't care for it anymore.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just to make sure someone doesn't get the wrong idea from your statement about Rye putting N back into the soil. Rye is a Nitrogen trap, it loves nitrogen and will suck up about all it can get. It will cycle it back into the soil as it decomposes and breaks down. Technically speaking it doesn't "add" nitrogen, it just cycles what's there. Legumes are the only plants that actually add nitrogen to soil. What's useful about rye's N cycling is if one's soil's CEC number is extremely low, the pounds of nitrogen that your soil cannot hold without leaching away, rye will hold that extra nitrogen and time release it back for the subsequent years crops.

I just wanted to be sure no one actually read that and got the false idea that winter rye will add nitrogen to soil out of thin air.