bowhunter448's 2015 Season Thread

Discussion in 'West' started by bowhunter448, Jun 5, 2015.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I've been putting a lot of thought into starting this thread. I spent the last couple of nights re-reading my thread from last season, and realized that it was a great way to track the season. So, I'm going to do it again.

There aren't many major changes this season (outside of the area and season). Marshall (my brother-in-law) and I put in for a party tag and drew out. I'm not making any changes to my set up this year. My set up is as follows: 2013 Bear Encounter, set at 70# and 27" DL, Cabela's Carbon Hunter arrow, cut at 28", with 100 grain Muzzy MX-3 broadhead, Trophy Ridge Punisher 5-pin sight, Whisker Biscuit Kill Shot rest, 5" Octane stabilizer and the Tru-Fire Patriot release.

Our season runs from August 9 thru September 10. We are looking at hunting the 14 - 17 and 20 - 25 together. I also have the following weekend (Labor Day weekend) off. We have a couple of buddies that also drew the same tag as us, so we'll have us an awesome deer camp. Splitting the hunt is pretty awesome, as far as we are concerned. One of the problem we ran into last season was changing hunting areas cost us at least a day. Now we have the benefit of hunting hard for 3 - 4 days and deciding where we want to go next.

The timing of the season is also a benefit for me. I'm running a Spartan race in October and will be in the middle of training for that as the season starts. I've got about two weeks of t-ball left, and once that's over, it'll be 2 - 3 mile runs a couple times a week and bodyweight training 5 - 6 days a week.

It's my goal this year to fill my tag. I've got this "Tag Soup" monkey on my back and I'm itching to get it off. Hopefully, with everything I've learned over the last two seasons, the addition of a couple of experienced bowhunters, and lots of practice and exercise, I can get it done!

2. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1433526484138.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1433526527921.jpg

Here is a couple of topo's of a couple of the areas we are looking at hunting. Marshall went out last weekend and found a good spot, but hasn't been able to show me where it's at on the map.

3. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I started setting my bow up for longer yardages this year. I'm going to go 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80 (hopefully). I haven't shot past 60 for quite some time, but one of the old bowhunters Marshall works with says you need to get out to at least 60 - 65 yards to get them big bucks.

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My eyes aren't good enough for anything past 60. Good luck and keep us posted

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Subscribed!!! This is you year bro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out and set my pins at 60 and 70. I can't pin 80. The pins at the bottom of the housing. I will say this, if the heat keeps coming like today, it's going to be a hot hunt.

We did see some bucks leaving work tonight. And my work is in my hunting unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

7. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    We are seeing deer everyday, whether go to or coming from work. It seems like the good hours to hunt will be from sun up to around 6:30 am, and 6:30 pm to sundown.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if I'll get any shooting in today. We are super busy with a fund raiser for our youth group, last t-ball game, and t-ball pizza party afterwards. I do start a week of vacation, so I'm hoping to get in some good shooting sessions and start running. I did start exercising again this morning by knocking out 25 burpees.

9. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    So far, there hasn't been any shooting or running this week. It's still young. I'll end up having to move my target again. A new construction started yesterday in the direction of travel.

On a positive note, we welcomed another niece into the world yesterday. Marshall's wife had her baby!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready for my annual Father's Day campout with my boys tonight. I invited my buddy and his two boys, so it looks like it's going to be a good time. I'll be preaching on Sunday at our first Church in the Canyon service. I'm pretty excited/nervous about that.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your niece, and enjoy your weekend!

12. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Just had my first run of the summer. 0.81 miles in 12:05. Mostly flat and on the street. I think I could have been faster, but I had one of my boys learning to ride his bike with me. We did go on a nice hike Saturday afternoon, and I'll post some pictures of my phone here in a little bit. Going to relax for a little bit and then I'll go move my target.

13. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1434998764718.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1434999048515.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1434999251521.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1434999330354.jpg

Here are some pictures.

14. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you have a great season. I like hearing other people talking about the work that goes into preparing.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I found that by sharing my preparations last year, I remembered details about the season I had forgotten about.

16. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea.

Bowtech invasion
    CX maxima 350
    React 5
    Reaper 2 inch

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    uploadfromtaptalk1435116148392.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1435116212846.jpg

Got my target moved. Should be able to shoot out to 80 yards with this setup. I shot with Marshall yesterday and he might have to miss our first weekend hunt. So I talked with my other buddy, Richard, about his deer hunting plans. He plans on heading out the Thursday afternoon Marshall and I were planning on with his cousin to an area with plenty of bucks. And he's focused on helping his cousin, and me if I go, fill deer tags, since his focus is his elk hunt a few days after that weekend. So, depending on if Marshall can get freed up that weekend, I might go with Richard.

Going with Richard feels like a better option because he's not seriously hunting deer and willing to help.

It's going to be a crazy couple of weekends with traveling plans. So I'm sneaking in bodyweight exercises while I'm at work and will attempt to shoot or run tomorrow night and at least one other night this week.

18. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Twin Peaks.jpg

Here is the area that I would end up hunting that first weekend if I go with Richard. I talked with a co-worker who has hunted this area and took his first buck in the saddle. He said this would be a very good area to hunt.

19. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I got out and shot a little bit tonight. Felt pretty good. I'm definitely going to be lethal within 30 yards, as of tonight. I still have 49 days until we go out to hunt. It looks like Richard and I will get together to go scout a little on the 18th.

I won't get to shoot this weekend because of traveling, but I'll take my running shoes and hopefully sneak in a run.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    We got back from traveling this afternoon. It was a nice time visiting with family.

I'll order 6 Gold Tips on Tuesday. Cabela's is having a sale on them. I'll get them for $44 with shipping, which is a killer deal. Marshall shoots them and loves them. I also found out that he won't be able to get that first weekend, so I'll be out with Richard.