More truck talk...EcoDiesels.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still doing more research on my next truck purchase. I mentioned before that I'm not loyal to one specific brand. With that being said, Dodge has never really done much for me aesthetically, and reliability always seemed to be an issue from people I talked to.

However, I've been reading up on the '14/'15 Ram Ecodiesel. Overall I think most people are very happy with them. Definitely some issues with the DEF being used up too quickly, some fuel leaks, odds and ends, but overall the mileage is excellent (actually hitting EPA). The interior is pretty substantial in quality for what you get. The reliability is still the big question mark for me, however.

I'm not going to go by online review sites, but I do like hearing individuals opinions even if they are second hand. For instance, the Ford camp loves their F150s. My buddy is getting great mileage with his '15 Ecoboost. I have that on my list as well.

I'm going to test drive everything in the 1/2 ton market, but I'm curious to hear other's thoughts. So far, I went to test drive a 3rd Gen Tundra the other night, but they sold their last two. Had to settle test driving a '13. Wasn't impressed.

I don't think I've seen anyone on here mention they have one (Ecodiesel), but if you do, I would like to hear your thoughts. If anyone you know owns one, would love to hear anything you have to report.

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Talked to a guy that had the Dodge Ecodiesel the other day and he was very pleased. Mileage of around 27mpg on a trip, approx. 18 around town. My work Dodge with a hemi has averages about 13-14 during all trips and that's after 140k+ miles. My two gripes about Dodge is the ride is harsher than competitors and parts availability is horrible.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The mileage is impressive, and people are actually hitting those numbers which isn't always the case with EPA vs. real world driving. I actually think the interior is a bit nicer than most (Ford is the most impressive to me, imho), and the rear coils should make it ride pretty well (I haven't actually driven one yet, but will soon). However, I feel like I might be on edge driving one the whole time just waiting for a catastrophic failure. Whether that's justified or not, it's just how I perceive their products. Different motor and new transmission. Can be a good thing or a bad thing.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Eco appears to get good mileage but is it really more economical than other options when considering the higher cost of diesel fuel, upfront cost of the engine, and maintenance?

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Maintenance is still the big question mark. I know both of my Toyota's were problem free. Not problem free the first 6k miles, not problem free the first 30k miles. Problem free for 150K miles +. That's hard to ignore. Maybe I just got lucky, though. Frame rust is really my biggest complaint right now.

Diesel is currently running about $.30-$.35 more a gallon than unleaded where I live. I ran figures at my yearly mileage rate of ~12,000 miles at current fuel rates, then at $3.00/gallon, $3.50/gallon, and $4.00/gallon rates with a $.50 additions for diesel and I still come out ahead given the mileage differences between the two trucks (Tundra and RAM). The gap closes a little bit with Ford as most reports are showing the 5.0, 3.5, and 2.7 about 1-3mpg better than the Tundra's 5.7.

The DEF is an oddball. I hear it's about $3/gallon, but it's supposedly meant to last for quite some time (can't remember the mileage figure off the top of my head, but I believe it's every 10K miles), but a few owners are reporting significant consumption of it before that mark.

Oil changes will be more, but at greater intervals of course. You need a specific formulation of oil (Euro) that VM Motori recommends. Not sure if local stores carry it, but you can buy it online for about the price of traditional synthetic.

Upfront costs for the trim levels I'm looking at are very close, ironically. An SR5 DC Tundra and a Tradesman RAM Ecodiesel with a few interior upgrades are about $2K apart.

Again, this is all just based on some internet research. No expert here, and there are definitely plenty of questionable stories popping up with the RAM to make me even pose the question.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Recommended oil change interval from the manufacturer is 10K on both the EcoBoost and EcoDiesel. :tu:

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. I was more or less comparing the Tundra or any NA engine :D

Ford is still going to get a look, but I doubt I can get what I want within my budget. The '15s are in just too high of demand with production still playing catch up = high price premium with very few manufacturer incentives.

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That may be manufacturer recommended but I would never wait to 10k, I have a hard time waiting to 5k on a 7L system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Small update. Finally scrounged up enough time to go test drive the three contenders (well...sort of).

Took a 2015 Big Horn 1500 EcoDiesel for a spin. Wasn't thrilled with the dial shifter, but other than that, it rode excellent, was quiet, had a ton of included features unavailable on the Tundra, and what I really liked, was the great utilization of storage within the cab of the truck.

Bringing that truck back to the lot, I saw a used '14 Crewmax Tundra on their lot with 6k miles. Took that for a spin. Didn't have the creature comforts of the Ram, and it was definitely louder on the road, but had plenty of power and the steering was very responsive (unlike the 2013 Tundra I drove a few weeks ago). Hate that the Crewmax is only available in a 5.5ft bed. Thing is useless :D

Then I went up the road to a Nissan dealership and talked to a friend of ours there about a '13 F150 Platinum with the 3.5 (SCREW/LB). Wow, that thing road like a dream. Fit and finish was excellent. Wife loved it (mostly the air conditioned seats :) ). Of course, the price tag made it unreasonable, not to mention I would feel a little silly working in a truck like that, but at least I was able to see how a the F150 handled.

I think, now, more than ever, there are a lot of great options out there for people looking to buy a truck. The problem is...they just keep getting more expensive :D

We'll see. Have a few months to decide if need be.

10. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aesthetically I think the '15 F-150's look great (they made the front end beefier like the 250). I will be considering the 3.6 EcoBoost next year.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. I think I'm going to give the F150 another hard look. Not willing to drop the cash for a '15, but may be interested in a '14 or '13.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    F150 is still my favorite truck. The combo of size, reliability, and interior finish are second to none.

That said I planned to keep my Tacoma for at least another 5-6 years so I would appreciate if you would quit with all these truck threads!

13. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the ecodiesel in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can honestly say the mileage is great. Unlike the Ram there is no way to run the vehicle in 2WD but it still averages 26-29 MPG since I bought it. There have been a lot of issues with the exhaust system on the 2014 Ecodiesels due to the DEF system and a bad Catalytic Converter design. Mine has been in the shop three times due to the DEF issues, most recently getting a new Converter and SCR. The other issue is that Chrysler has locked down the computers in the vehicles so the aftermarket tuning products are in short supply and most throw codes that have to be cleared out.

I love my vehicle but Chrysler sucks balls when it comes to resolving design flaws with their vehicles. I would also like to thank the EPA for making emissions strangulation with DEF such a pain in my butt due to all the problems.

14. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I'm not currently in the market for one but I'll be looking in a couple years.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    :D You're in Alaska. Living. I don't want to hear it:D

In reality, I had no real urge to get rid of this, but life changes are making it necessary.

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I think I'm most likely straying away from the RAM. I've read about a lot of issues with them in the little time they've been around. It's a shame, too. It's really the only fullsize truck that gets impressive gas mileage.

No one seems to really have any long term data on the Ecoboost's, either. Plenty of problems on the F150 boards. Lots of those guys trade every few years and beat the reliability drum. IMHO, if a truck makes it to 45K-60K miles without issue, that's no reliability. If it makes it to 150k-200K, then we can start talking.

17. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Suck it up and get exactly what you want. If it's the 15 Ford, do it. Anyone who keeps a vehicle 100-150K miles has my respect and shouldn't compromise over relatively small differences in a per year price when keeping it that long. Plus, you have a sugar momma.

18. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Guys who trade in before the new leather smell wears off and swear up and down how reliable their ole truck has been. Lol

See it a lot with bows, heck everything else in life really...

19. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to revive this again, but if you had to do it all over again, would you purchase it?

I've been reading up a bit more and it seems many of the bugs the '14's were having aren't as bad or prevalent on the '15s. I also know that with my commute (20 miles one way/95% highway) it would be sufficient for the diesel emissions to clean out (stop and go driving seems to trigger problems).

I'm a bit torn still. I like that I can get a crew cab with the full 6.5' bed on both the RAM and the F150. The Double Cab Tundra would probably work, but again, I can't really get over the terrible mileage they get. We're enjoying low fuel prices right now, but it won't last.

20. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Based on my needs the answer would be yes, though I might actually consider the Ram with the EcoDiesel. They replaced my SCR and Catalytic Converter which according to several others corrected the issues. The Mileage is the main issue for me since I drive 25-30k a year for my job.