ESPN to honor Bruce Jenner

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleJohn, Jun 2, 2015.

1. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ...with the Arthur Ashe award, for courage, at the ESPYs in July. Am I the only one who feels like I'm living in the Twilight Zone?

This dude obviously has had mental problems for a long time and I feel bad for him for that. He needed professional help, instead he puts on make-up and a dress, changes his name and now we must all laud him as a hero? It's sad. Gimme a break ESPN.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slightly tired of hearing about Bruce or whatver his/her name is now.

3. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How does he get a pass on the way he treated his first 4 children? Read their stories. He is a complete loser and deadbeat.

4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sickening.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Consider this, does Kanye have a new mother-in-law?

6. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bruce went from shooting a Mathews Chill to like a Jewel......set at like 35lbs draw..........hahaha, I kill myself sometimes :)

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no words to describe how I feel about the direction of our society and humanity. We are truly confused, and I can only hope somehow we will get our sense of direction back.

It takes a lot for me to consider anyone a hero, and this certainly does not apply to those standards. He/She can do whatever it wants, I couldn't care less but there's also no reason to prop it up as something to be admired and honored.

8. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It annoys me how Bruce Jenner didn't want people to make a big deal of his change in the beginning but now he has shows, interviews, and awards for it. If he truly had courage he would have told people how he felt 20 years ago instead of having kids with women and making money off their riches. What he did seems sad and selfish before courages!

9. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what ESPN was thinking with this. It amazes me that this is what they think courage is nowadays. Our country is headed down a dark path. The only question is how bad is it going to get.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't take courage in this day and era to make millions....that is all I'll say.

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sodom and Gomorrah...

12. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Regardless of your opinion on transgenders, how is this courageous when every news outlet praises this stuff and if you say something against it you get labeled intolerant or transphobic?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True, it takes real courage to stand up and say that this is messed up. It's funny watching the celebs and media types tripping over one another competing to be the most tolerant and PC. Before it's over, Obama will be giving the guy a medal.

14. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody cares about this award until they give it to someone controversial. If they gave it to someone actually deserving, you would never hear about.

So you want to know why the media and ESPN give Bruce/Caitlyn attention and coverage? Because its causing controversy, which gets people talking, which gets attention, which equals money.

It's pretty simple.

15. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If this is the path he wants to go down then good for him and I wish him well. I am all for whatever makes a guy happy. But I don't think it was that big of a deal that he made the change because Hollywood embraces this kind of thing and he is coming from a family that is all about media attention and making money off of scandalous things. In the long run its not that big of a deal that Bruce Jenner made this choice now in a community of people that is always looking for that next big thing to get behind and applaud.

I think it takes more courage for a person from small town America to come out as gay or let friends and family know they want to live an alternative life style because it is less accepted and looked down upon. Those people are the ones who have courage because they don't know if they will still have family and friends.

Also I have seen something going around Facebook about ESPN giving Bruce an award and second place was a Vet who lost an arm and a leg and competes in cross fit. If this was in fact true I think if Bruce Jenner really wants to set an example and show what is really valued he needs to respectfully decline the award. (EDITED- just read a report this story was fake)

16. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just think he love being in the lime-light/media and will do WHATEVER it takes to keep people from forgetting about him. Messed up though.

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm almost 40 years old and I want to build a light saber...a toy from a childhood fantasy...I think I deserve an award for being courageous enough to admit that in public. :lol:

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah read that too...I was one that got hoodwinked by it myself. He did beat out a true courageous young lady though named Lauren Hill. Look up her story...amazing.

19. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I followed that story. She is from right down in the area of our hunting property.

20. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely don't feel that he should be held up as a role model or hero for anyone to look up to. Many more deserving folks out there such as the aforementioned Lauren Hill. What she did was courageously follow her dreams in the face of a devastating disease. I just think a certain part of this is the money and the rest is a sick fantasy. I tend to agree with Hooker about ESPN doing this for the money also, flaming turds for them also (and it is very seldom that I agree with Hooker)