Arrow Selection

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jpeeples, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, I am new to this forum and new to bow hunting. I have hunted whitetail deer all my life with a rifle and can give you my two cents all day, but trying to find a good arrow has me baffled. My question is, and I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, What arrow do you prefer and why?

I will take any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Setup:
    Bow: PSE Drive
    Draw Weight: 60
    Draw Length: 27 1/2
    Broadhead: Ramcat 100gr

2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting I like Beman ICS Hunter Patriots because they're tuff and not exorbitantly expensive. For target practice my favourite arrows are the Victory VAP Elite V1's which are very accurate and super straight. image.jpg

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of good arrows on the market. Easton, Goldtip, Beman, Carbon Express... etc. The most important to all of this is the correct spine and length for your setup. So my best recommendation is to find out the length and what spine you need for your setup and then pick an arrow that fits in your budget. In hunting you don't need hair splitting accuracy. It nice but not required. if you need help picking an arrow whats your budget and what rest are you shooting? Good luck and most importantly just have fun with all this.

4. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gold Tip makes great arrows at a good price and they're the toughest all carbon arrow.

5. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been wanting to try some GoldTip arrows. Which ones would you recommend?

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter XTs are good.

7. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be going Saturday to an outfitter to buy my arrows and broadheads. I am leaning more towards the Easton Axis or the Easton Deep Six XD. Anyone familiar with those two? I will let them check out my setup and see what spine and length. Thanks for the responses. I am sure I will be on here a good bit.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I was born in SC (Jonesville) and most of my family still lives there.
    I shot the Easton ST Axis for years and I really liked how they performed. I shoot the Easton Injexion Deep Six now and I really like them a lot. The hit hard and fly really well.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    easton axis are great, some of the most popular arrows. I think you should be in a 400 spine. I don't know if you've looked at the fmj's but they are what I shoot and I love them, they are defiantly a heavier arrow

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They have whatever you need. The hunters are probably the most popular and have the best speed to weight ratio, velocity are the best for speed, and the kinetics hit hard with the smaller diameter and a bit more weight. I forgot who did the test but the velocity hit the hardest in the speed arrow class. I love them and plan on using them for a while.

11. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are lots of good arrows out there nowadays. I shoot gold tip kinetics and the wife shoots xt hunters. I liked my FMJ's alot but I keep going back to gold tips because they are so darned tough. The only arrows I don't really care for are carbon express specifically the maximas. I know lots of guys like them but I could never shoot them well and I always seemed to tear them up pretty quick.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot what ever arrow you want, I would suggest going heavier 450-475 grains with the broadhead. A heavy arrow hits hard and that can mean the difference if your arrow contacts bone.

13. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Beman ICS Hunters for years and have had great luck with them.

14. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Selecting a quality shaft can be difficult, because there are so many different ones out there! I would highly recommend Easton! IMO best shafts out there, and the best part they are all made right here in the U.S. Of A. I sell a ton of Axis to people, because they are in the middle as far as weight is concerned, plus they are small diameter. Great hunting arrow! Otherwise I would lean towards the GT's. The expedition hunter's are pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bemans baby! I've been using the ICS Bowhunters, because they are affordable and reliable.

16. jshelburne10

jshelburne10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not the most experienced one here, but I haven't found anything wrong with the beeman ics hunter pros that I have been shooting the past couple years. I like the 340 spine. They are accurate, cost efficient, and definitely tough! I've been shooting the same 6 arrows for the past year and haven't busted one yet.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First thing you need to do is decide on an arrow length. Depending on the rest your using with your draw length you looking at between 25.5 and 27.5 inches. Most bow bows nowadays have plenty of shelf clearance so you should be able to draw even those large diameter ramcats onto the shelf.
    Let's just assume for Conversation a 26" arrow.
    I am assuming your primarily deer hunting?
    Your Broadhead choice give you plenty of flexibility as well, they penetrate excellent.

So with all that in mind, taking in consideration you shorter draw length and 60 pounds of draw weight....

I would chose a relatively light weight shaft like GT Velocity XT, Easton Hexx, Black Eagle Carnivores.

It would be .400 spine, it would be cut a 26" , I would add 50grain brass inserts ....you finished weight would be in the 375 range with a FOC between 15-17 % depending on shaft you select.

18. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beman ICS Hunter Pro's for me. Price is great and they are excellent quality

Tags: