Elk calls, which ones do you use?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Afflicted, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guy, I'm taking another stab and filling the freezer with Elk meat this year. I'll be heading to units 51 & 52 near Taos New Mexico the year and hunting public land with the help of an outfitter "New Mexico Hunting Adventures". I'm sure they'll have calls but I like some for myself to learn on and at least a diaphragm call to have in case I need to stop and Elk if I'm at full draw. What do you guys use or recommend? Not sure if the different regions have different calls that work better than others. All help appreciated.

2. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Andrew,
    As with most things, I like to keep it simple. I picked up the following two calls a few years back and both seem easy to use and I have had results with both.

Cow call: http://www.primos.com/products/elk-calls/imaka-da-bullcrazy-long-range/

Bugle call: http://www.primos.com/products/elk-calls/bull-horn/

I'm sure there are others that sound better - but these were reasonably priced, easy to learn, and compact for riding in the pack as I was not sure how often I'd really even use. I find myself using them more and more each season now. I wish I was better with a diaphragm call for stopping an elk, but have just tried making a cow call with my mouth and that has worked as well...

Good Luck in NM!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got comped the full line of Duel calls awhile back. I have used and had success with their elk calls, the open red cow call is very good