Trail Cam Video Mode

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by jkadkins, May 31, 2015.

1. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I haven't been using trail cameras for very long. I now have two out that have been out since the first of the year or so. I've only had it on camera mode so far, and I wanted to try out the video mode on one of them (Browning strike force).

When I switched it over I wasn't sure what setup would be best. I can do videos up to two minutes, with lots of timeout delay options. I ended up settling on 30 second videos with a time delay of 5 minutes between triggers. But I'm curious what others use. Shorter or longer videos, and how much delay? And any particular reason why you use these options? Thanks!

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested in this as well... I have 4 cams and have been using them for almost 3 years and have never used video mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like 12 to 15 sec videos and 30 to 45 sec delays on trails
    20 sec on min licks with 5 min delays

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lot depends on the camera for best settings.

Could be wrong but the strike force can only do ten second long night videos?

I like to run one camera on a scrape in the fall for sure. But only like a 10 second or so video. Usually no longer then 15 seconds.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I usually go for around 20 seconds. The interval is dependent on the set. on a trail I'll only have 10-30 second delay, but on a mineral or carcass, I pump up the delay to 2-5 minutes.

My biggest beef with video mode is it takes for ever to go through them compared to photos. Night videos suck down your batteries crazy fast too.

6. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black flash cams work good for video, 10 sec works good for me there fun over scrapes. Red ir flash will send deer running to the hills I have a lot of bucks turn and run after seeing the red ir burn at night.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do a max of 30 seconds when it comes to video because if you have 400-500 videos to go through, any longer would take a lot of time. If you are on a feeder or bait, consider longer pause times. If you are on a trail I do no longer than 30 seconds on the delay.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

8. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You're correct. I had actually forgot about that. That's probably okay, especially since I'm getting a lot of activity right now at night on a mineral site. That may help save the batteries a little.

9. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wondered about this! At night, I've noticed that the deer will often look towards the camera, and a couple will actually come up and investigate, rather than run at the sight of the flash. But that's on camera mode, not on video. The Strike Force has a red IR, so I'll see what happens when I pull the card.

10. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies! It seems 30 seconds or less is pretty common, among my friends as well. The points about the delay on mineral sites vs. trails is interesting. I had bumped up the delay on mine because it's over a mineral site. I get a lot of activity there, and lots of pictures, so I didn't want to kill the batteries by taking so many videos. But I'm not sure I would have made the change to a shorter delay on a camera hung on a trail. I'll give it a go soon, though.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to video setting too. I am going to check my cameras this weekend, one of which was set to video and it's the first time I've ever used video mode at all. I can't remember how long I set it to go or the delay but I hope to see some buck growth and fawns in action.

12. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do mine in my food plot set at 15 second video with a 1 minute delay. Enjoy watching the animals because what you sometimes miss on picture mode you catch on video mode.

13. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    on the time between videos at night it take time for batteries to recharge i have been told to double your time
    10 sec video 20 sec between shots 20 sec video 40 sec between shots

14. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont do video because of this ^^^^

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Video mode is nice, but for some odd reason my camera stopped taking video after just 2 days and I still had 8GB free on the memory card so I'm not sure what changed or if maybe the censor was fogged up. Who knows. I changed it back to picture mode but I'm hoping nothing is wrong with my camera. I got plenty of good clips like the 2 below:

[video]https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xta1/v/t43.1792-2/11405722_835858876500772_1275864772_n.mp4?efg=eyJx ZSI6InZpZGVvX2FkdmVydGlzZXJzXzIwMTUwNTIwLGhkIn0%3D&oh=09b05d0a70e641c514c9655ef4c60648&oe=5578C185[/video]

[video]https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xaf1/v/t43.1792-2/11425756_835857376500922_524591271_n.mp4?efg=eyJxZ SI6InZpZGVvX2FkdmVydGlzZXJzXzIwMTUwNTIwLGhkIn0%3D&oh=93bfeee78dddceeb7f7c3f20a5715646&oe=5578C48F[/video]

16. jkadkins

jkadkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, I forgot to reply after I checked the videos. They turned out pretty well I thought. And I'm glad I chose a short video with a long timeout, there were still several triggers.

Overall it didn't drain the batteries like I expected it to, and most of the videos were taken during the night.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll try it over a scrape later on with a shorter trigger and see how that goes.

17. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I take pictures until September or October and then I set my cameras to video mode with the hope of getting some rut action on camera.

If and when I put a camera on video mode I go with a 30 second video with just a 20 second delay or so.

Although the action you get on camera over a scrape is fun and some of the best action shots you will get I prefer not to put the camera right on the scrape if at all. Why disturb an area that you already know bucks and does are visiting on the regular? For a hope of getting a picture or video! No way. If I do it at all I put the camera on the opposite side of the plot or field and face toward the scrape. Catch them walking to and from the scrape.

My two cents.

18. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like to run a hybrid mode where it takes a picture followed by a 10 second video. Then a 1 minute delay. Best of both worlds for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only run my 3 cameras in Video mode.

I think open up Window Movie Maker and screen capture individual pictures that I want.

I like it because more often than not, I pick up more that I would have missed if I were in picture mode and in delay between pics.

20. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't know there was a hybrid mode. I like that. What camera is it? Makes it a lot faster to look through if you have a picture of what in the video instead of watching the entire video.