Stabilizers for bow hunting ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dudz, May 29, 2015.

1. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know many bowhunters use stabilizers. I have not bought one as of yet. Do they really make any noticeable difference to your shots ?. Especially at distances of 40 yards and under ?

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed a difference with mine when paper tuning. there was quite a bit of difference from one stabilizer to the next. I just tried a bunch to find what one paper tuned the best for my bow.

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot better with a slightly heavier bow so it helped me. It also took some hand shock out of my bow which was welcomed.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On my RPM 360 I shot out to 50 yards with a 4", 6", and 10" stabilizer and it shot the same with all three. It was a heavy bow so that may have helped. With my Faktor I will start with a 6" and decide from there.

5. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Octane staibilzer on my bow. Without it, the bow tends to roll backwards, where the stabilizer helps to balance it.

6. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 12" home-made stabilizer with (2) 4 oz and (1) 1oz weights on my No Cam. I can definitely tell a difference out at 40 yards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know we're all different, but my Faktor 30 holds well with my 8" Bee stinger sport hunter xtreme. Hope that helps you some....lol

Sent from my XT830C

8. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The fact that I was going to use a heavy sight on an extended dovetail dictated the necessity for me to use a stabilizer, even on a bow as balanced as the Mathews NO Cam. I opted for a B-Stinger because they're readily available and competitively priced. I'm thinking of replacing my 8" front stab with either an 8 or 10" hunting stab from 365 Archery, the maker of my side stabilizer. Carbon fiber is expensive, but I think you get what you pay for.

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never use one for hunting. I am not stacking arrows in a dot. I'm shooting at a kill zone. I see very little help from a short stab. There is a reason target bows have such long stabs. Its not the weight but more the length. Ever see a tight rope walker carry a heavy block in each hand? No...they use a very long pole for balance. The same for a stab on a bow....but whatever floats your boat. If you like it go for it.

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use a stabilizer either. I couldn't tell a difference with or without one so I figured what's the point in having it sticking out and bumping into stuff.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A stabilizer makes a difference for me on my bows. It helps me balance my bow better in my hand.

12. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a new bow earlier this year and was able to try out a couple different stabilizers on it. There was a very noticable difference between the 6" octane and the 8" bstinger. The longer stabilizer with weights on the end settled my bow down when aiming and helped tighten my groups considerable. I aint no expert but from my experience I would say try some different ones and decide for yourself.

13. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is more for shock absorption right now but I'm looking to get a fuse carbon blade but waiting for the right price

14. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the carbon blades. I have a 8.5" carbon blade on my carbon element and a 10" on the carbon spyder turbo. I prefer the 10" stabilizer for hunting.

15. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 6" dead center archery carbon dead silent series to eat up a little vibe and quiet the shot that much more. As far as stabilizing it just offsets the sight weight a bit. I shoot just as good without one.

16. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really.like mine I have the 8inch 11oz bee stringer and it made a big different to me holds so much better now

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got about a dozen or so stabs. The best for me that I have bought is the Dead Center Archery Dead Silent Carbon 8" and the Bee Stinger sport Hunter extreme.

Sent from my XT830C

18. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    B-Stinger is the way to go hands down. They work VERY well and I would go with at least a 10" if you really want to see the benefits. There's definitely a benefit as far as MOI goes when you have a super lightweight, rigid, carbon bar with weights on the very end. You will most definitely be able to tell a difference in your aiming and you will have a much slower, tighter float. If you're buying new, I think the ProMax does the best and it has the highest MOI of the B-Stinger lineup.

I shoot a 15" on the front and a 12" on the side. You might "just be shooting a deer" but when the pressure is on, I want all the aiming help I can get. They never get in the way and I'll gladly carry a heavier overall setup because I shoot it more accurately. I have shot a 12" on the front and an 8" on the side previously. It did very well but the 15" and the 12" helps me more.

http://www.beestinger.com/why-b-stinger-works.php

19. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Mathews DXT and for a long time I shot a 4" limbsaver stabilizer and it worked great. When I got into target shooting more I bought a 10' beestinger. It really tightened up my groups but the added mass made the bow vibrate in other places. Somethings it will vibrate so back the little harmonic dampener in the wheel will come flying out.