Physics defying archery on TV/movies.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BB4tw, May 26, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really enjoy watching the super hero archers, I really do but sometimes I just get a chuckle from the Hollywood treatment that archery and archery equipment receives. Here are my top annoyances (albeit minor because I realize that real world stuff wouldn't make for a good show)

1. Inconsistent arrow penetration. How can one shot fly over 50 yards, while towing a cable and have enough energy to embed in a concrete wall good enough to support our hero's weight, and the very next shot from 20 yards or less with a razor sharp broadhead fail to do a complete pass through on the bad guy?

2. Inconsistent form.
    This one could be chalked up to possession of some extreme skill, I suppose. Being able to do things that normal people can't do is part of being a super hero.

3. Using the wrong bow for the job.
    This one can be a matter of opinion I guess but it would seem to me that a compound of any kind would be a poor choice for our hero to choose. Especially once it gets used for as a hand-to-hand combat weapon a couple of times. A traditional bow would be a wiser choice. It could take more of a beating without the risk to precision made and tuned components, strings could easily be changed in the field if need be, but using a bow as a mele weapon is still a bad idea.

Sorry for the long rant. I didn't realize how long winded this post was going to be when I started. :)

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, you mean you have trouble suspending your disbelief? Never fear...all things on TV are explainable. The hero simply has a bow made out of cutting edge materials which makes it durable enough to do anything and makes the string uncuttable.

3. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's fake, unlike this...

Attached Files:

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quit watching The Walking Dead initially because there was no recoil on the gunshots. I then had to step back and laugh because I realized I was worried about realism in a show about zombies.

5. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That isnt any worse then the old black and white superman shows, where super man would stand there and take a hail of bullets bouncing off of his chest with out flinching, but as soon as the gun was out of bullets, and the bad guy would throw the gun at him, he would have to duck so he didnt get head in the head by the gun...