First time to Kansas

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by jjd1975, May 26, 2015.

1. jjd1975

jjd1975 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just received my Kansas deer tags! I will be heading to Kansas the last week of October and will be bow hunting in zones 11 and 14. I will be hunting public land and walk in hunting areas, looking for any advice in those areas. I'm not trying to take anyones hot spot just wanting to know more about places to stay, any favorite restaurants and some of your experiences hunting public land/WIHA. Thanks for reading and your advice is very much appreciated.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kansas is amazing, you should have a great time. My tags showed up as well today. I will be in north central Kansas in Nov. good luck!!

3. Goin4-200

Goin4-200 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far away from people as possible. Close to water and or food or both obviously. Find pinch points that may take a while to get to. This will ensure that you get away from the crazies. I love deer hunting here but so does everyone else. The less pressure the better. Best of luck to you!

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My advice to you would be to stay away from areas close to lakes, towns, and areas with a high density of WIHA. These spots get quite a bit of pressure even in October. Find some farms in the WIHI program off the beaten path. And lastly, aerial maps can be deceiving. Don't count out any farm. I hunt unit 14 quite a bit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  5. PSEFreakAR

PSEFreakAR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted last fall near Willard, KS. Saw some great deer, and should've killed a solid 150" 10 but shot low...... KS bucks are huge bodied, even 2.5 yo bucks looked massive on the hoof. Good luck! Can't wait to go back!

6. Goin4-200

Dislikes Received:
    Jjd1975 where are you from? Pse freak brings up a good point about the size of our deer! It is very easy to miss judge a 3 year old here and depending on how many days you have I would exercise alot of patience and bring trail cameras

7. pohl-cat

pohl-cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt near Holton. They're a few nice hotels there. I hunted privat land, but there are several WIHA properties that we drove buy, and didn't see a lot of pressure. I've really missed it the last few years and plan on going back soon. I harvested a few great deer there! You should have a great time! Have fun

8. jjd1975

jjd1975 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Michigan but hunt alot in Ohio, we own land in southern Ohio. I have feel pretty confident in judging deer age and size. My brother and I plan on hunting hard for ten days. I have been on KS dnr website and have picked out alot of WIHA to check out I'm just not sure how much time I should spend in a spot before heading to another, I want to hunt a much as possible.

9. Goin4-200

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal sounds like you come from some big bucks states. Finding the right wiha is the challenge. Something hard to get to is sometimes the best bet. Good luck to you