Most difficult shot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by michael_pearce, May 26, 2015.

1. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is the most difficult shot you have taken with your bow?
    Longest distance, smallest target, moving target, etc....

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the most difficult shot will be the next on i take:rock:

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most difficult one for me was shooting to my left rear. After I had hit the grunt tube a few times, I heard something behind me and I looked over my left shoulder and saw a buck walking in. He stopped directly behind the tree I was in, just off the logging road. He stood there for maybe 10 mins and turned right and started to walk into the woods behind me. I couldn't turn to my right because of the camera arm being in the tree. I tried to lean to the left and shoot around the tree without falling or losing my balance. Unable to behind properly at the waist, I shot right over his back. I changed the position of the stand in that tree the next day.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting through 'windows'. Need to gauge all the usual stuff: distance, x, y axis, but also the distance the window is from the target and arch of the arrow.

I try to practice like an opportunity i might encounter. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    knocked a red winged black bird at 43 yards the other day, it was pretty tough but its nothing like your heart racing when theres a deer in range

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I was seeding my plot this spring I tried to line out the shot I took last fall, I even put a stick in the ground where I hit him and climbed in the stand to check the sight line. I snuck an arrow thru a really narrow window I understand why I hit him in the shoulder. Granted the arrow went thru both shoulder blades but the arrow carried forward it all worked out I trimmed that branch just a little no need to press my luck twice.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am really trying to not be a Richard when I post but target practice on songbirds is wrong, knock it off.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was a follow up shot. I had what I thought was a doe come into 25 yards. I didn't see one little branch in my lane and the arrow deflected into it's ham. It spun and bounded semi circle 90* and stopped at about 35 yards with a cantaloupe size window through the treed at about 15 yards between us. I somehow threaded the second shot through and drilled him right behind the shoulder. It all happened in about 5 seconds.

By far my most difficult, and luckiest shot. I would have never taken it if I hadn't already stuck the button buck in the arse.

9. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most difficult shot, was about 70-80 yards. I just guessed and let fly.. My buddy and I are in radio contact during our hunts. He told me a deer walked by him w/o giving him a shot, and that it's back leg was mangled really badly. It was coming towards me, so when I saw it, I took a shot at it to try and end it's misery.. but I missed. I figured the deer is hurt and suffering, I'll try and end it or speed up the end for it. Found the deer a few days later.. about 100 yards from the field. It looked like it got hit hard by a car in the hind end.

Not hard, but heart breaking shot was on a very nice buck bedded down about 20 yards away. I drew, took my time and fired.. arrow went flying out, fish tailing all over the place and missed by about 3'.. my drop away rest cord had slid and the rest didn't drop. To add insult, the buck took off, came back to figure out what just happened and then walked away. With my bow not working properly, I couldn't take another shot.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was a follow up shot. I shot a small buck about 5 years ago from 15 yards that I thought was broadside when he was actually quartering to. It was early season and there was honeysuckle brush between us. I clipped a lung and actually made what turned out to be a devestating liver shot but when I saw his reaction to the shot I didn't think I got the job done. So after he jumped and turned away he stood nearly facing the complete opposite direction I nocked another arrow and shot at a very steep quartering away angle to put him down in his tracks. He fell 30 yards from me and I watched him expire within seconds after the second shot. Still, that steep quartering away shot was such a tight angle I was amazed I had the composure to make a follow up shot that quickly. Lesson learned there, don't shoot with any bit of brush between you and the deer.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't take difficult shots at live animals, I am very picky about the shots I take. I pass more than I shoot. I would if it was a follow up or the animal was badly injured but I have not encountered that yet. The most difficult target shot was at a bighorn ram 3-D target and it was really more lucky than difficult. I was shooting a hickory selfbow I just finished that shot a whopping 137fps. I hit the 8 ring at 85 yards. That arrow was almost sticking straight down in the target I had arced it so much LOL.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly. IMO difficult is entirely too close to irresponsible when it comes to a hunting situation. The easier the shot the better.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find shots inside of about 8 yards when I am in 20+ feet up in a tree stand to be the most difficult. That steep angle makes it harder to double-lung. In reality I just need to practice those shots more. Beyond that, I agree with Coop. If the shot seems questionable, I am not taking it.

14. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was probably my 1st bow kill. I was 12 years old, hunting in WI, w/ my oldest brother in the tree w/ me. Button buck comes walking by at about 20 yards. I'm shooting a who knows how old Jennings Forked Lightning @ 35 lbs w/ fingers, and the old single wire arrow rest. I was shaking so bad that when I draw I torqued the arrow off the rest and its dangling in no man's land at about a 45* angle to the bow. My brother whispers "don't let go" and reaches through the string/bus cables and puts the arrow back on the rest. I was shaking so bad I spined the little guy. In all my excitement I missed him w/ the next 5 arrows. (6 arrow quiver) My brother had to take his bow off the hook and finish it off.

15. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should check your facts before being a "richard"... Because they are not in fact considered songbirds in some states.
    [​IMG]

16. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My most difficult shots are trick shots. Splitting cards, robinhooding an old arrow on purpose, stuff like that is a blast and really challenges me and my form. I also like shooting long range, with a sight tape out to 100 i can stretch it out and fine tune my form and bow

17. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I haven't taken may difficult shots. When I was 13 I had my first bow I would shoot 60 yards with the bubble level on my sight.

18. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's different for Iowa. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

According to the Iowa dnr you cannot hunt red wing blackbirds or any songbirds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try not to take difficult shots at animals.

I'd say outside of hunting it wasn't one shot but 45 in a row. It's been too many years since I was shooting at this level but this was my personal best indoor game.

[​IMG]

20. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My toughest shot was 17 yards on a broadside 10 pt whitetail. Why? He stopped just short of my shooting lane after I had already come to full draw. He stood there looking around for a couple minutes before continuing on. I shot the 130 class buck in the heart. The 5 degree temp didn't make it a walk in the park to hold my bow back that long either.

Last edited: May 27, 2015