Take it to the shop or contact CS?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, May 25, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a new Bear Venue last week and brought it to the shop on friday to get it set up for me. The bow has no more than 25 shots through it and I notice today the cable serving is pretty well frayed near the cam.

20150525_121416.jpg
    20150525_121946.jpg

So I brought it back to the shop yesterday as my stabilizer won't screw in more than 2 turns. They are contacting Bear about replacing the stabilizer bushing as a possible warranty repair. Do you suggest I head back to the shop and have them contact Bear about this too or would it be better if I called Bear's customer service about the cable serving being chewed up at the cam?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would take it back and ask for a new bow personally.

3. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought it from an online store. It was their 2014 stock they had on sale and I couldn't pass the deal up. So I really can't just return and get another Venue at the same sale price.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would contact Bear CS and see what they say. If you bought it new it should have a warranty! They may put a new cam on it if it's the issue. I definitely would not shoot it anymore the way it is! Does it have a module that that section of the strings travels on? I would check it for sharp edges or burrs!

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20150525_143647.jpg 20150525_143554.jpg 20150525_143505.jpg

So the gray piece you see is the draw lenght module. The black is part of the cam. The damage is happening where those two meet. I can't get in that spot to feel is there is a rough spot or what may be chewing up that serving. Who knows if damage has been done past that serving.

I'm just going to contact Bear customer service myself tomorrow. At least that way I feel like they will be getting all the information.

Bear does have a warranty on their products so I know one way or another things will get taken care of. Just hoping the fact that I bought it online doesn't slow the process any.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh sorry. I didn't know. Like others said contact CS at Bear and see what they say.

7. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Can you remove the mod? Sometimes there is a sharp edge! If so you can sand with fine sand paper just to knock the sharp edge off.

8. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The cam could also have a little bit of lean. I deal with bear bows a lot at work and I will honestly say, they use the WORST end serving in the business. It would help you a great deal to put some aftermarket strings sooner rather than later. The serving doesn't wear well at all. It's almost like dental floss, not serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not super familiar with the Venue yet but I would assume the module can easily be taken off being the Venue's DL is adjustable with out putting it in a bow press. I would have to do some looking around to see what I need to do to remove it.

I have full intentions of getting new strings/cable sooner than later. I really just didn't expect this to happen after 25 or so shots. Some thing with that module or cam has to be causing that kind of fray.

I never did even look to see if there was any bad cam lean or not. I just saw the fuzz and stopped shooting right then and there and didn't think about drawing it again to check for lean.

Good input I am getting from this though. Making me learn about the new bow.

10. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're absolutely right, that shouldn't happen after 25 shots.

11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Factory strings are an embarrassment on many new bows. I am not sure why it is so hard to get a decent set. I had my 360 a week before the yoke servings tarted unraveling. Obviously something is causing your problem, but strings wearing early is a pretty common complaint.

As you are finding out, the downside of buying a bow online is not being to take it back when big problems arise. I am glad to read your local shop didn't give you a hard time about helping with the warranty issue on the bushing. I have read a lot of stories where shops were not as helpful. It is one reason I bought a press and everything else I needed to work on my own bows because I buy/sell/trade a lot online.

If you don't need a bow press to change draw length, just remove the screws holding the mod on and remove it. There is nothing else to it. On the Bowtech's sometimes a screw ends up behind a limb at certain lengths and you still need to press to get at them.

12. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are sending a new bushing under warranty, I just have to pay a labor charge.

I called Bear about the serving and they told me to bring it to a Bear dealer so they can look at it. I'll bring it in before I pull that module off myself so if anything needs to be checked or verified by the shop guys they have the info they need and they can go through Bear for me.

13. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! I hope you can get these issues resolved!! Keep us updated!

14. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It almost looks like that cable is served with something other then regular serving. I know some of the bear bows had recalls on their cams but I do not know if that model was one of them.

15. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I agree with 60X. Almost looks like a plastic like thin monofilament

16. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So here's what I learned between calling Bear and taking it to the archery shop.

When I called Bear, they said to check for any cam lean and to see if the strings and cables are tracking through the groove on the cam like it should. No cam lean that I could see and the everything seemed to track on the cam fine. The 2 gentlemen at the shop that looked at it said there is definitely no cam lean and cable is tracking as it should on the cam. Otherwise, the guy at Bear didn't have much other to say besides they would probably replace the cable once it was seen by a Bear dealer and they contacted Bear about it.

^This, I had noticed. To me, even as a novice, the servings just don't feel right to me. I pointed this out to the 2 at the shop and they agreed with me. One said they felt rather thin to him.

This morning I took a q-tip to that module and the cam where that fray is and nothing caught and there was no fuzz left on the mod or cam. The 2 at the shop said they didn't see anything that didn't look right or that could be causing this fray. The only thing they could come up with at the archery shop was that I got a bad cable and/or just a bad serving job in that spot.

I am now leary about getting new strings/cable. My luck is I'll get a new set put on to only find this happening soon after. Guess we'll wait and see how this plays out. If I get a replacement cable, I'll see if this happens again in the same spot.

17. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a call from the archery shop stating my bushing was in but no cable so they called Bear to see what was going on. They were told to make sure the draw length module is in right and to reserve the cable. Hmm, well ok. Guess they will be reserving it tonight after work for me and we'll see if it happens again.