Taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kb1785, May 25, 2015.

1. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, a plan that has been in process for about 5 months is finally coming together. My brother and I are taking the plunge and purchasing about 850 acres of property. We are both looking forward to having our own place to hunt as we have suffered the trials and tribulations as many others have with public and private non owned hunting areas. The property is completely timbered with farmland bordering all around and we have found considerable deer sign and jumped up several deer as we have walked the property. Our dream would be to manage the deer herd and as we are bow hunters look to set the property up for that purpose. The problem that I can see is that the previous owners, 3 old women that didn't live there, let people use the property as basically public hunting property for years. I anticipate a lot a pushback from locals that have been hunting there and have found a lot of treestands on the property. There are a lot of timber/gas well roads that provide access all around so it will be difficult to limit access. Any suggestions on how to proceed, we would like to get along with the locals but also like to protect and limit the hunting as we see fit. Suggestions appreciated.

2. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You have to talk with the surrounding landowners first as they likely know the locals because they are locals themselves. Let them know your wishes to keep people out. They probably are not going to be happy because with less people hunting on that land, it means more deer, and more crop damage for them. Put posted signs and chains at access points and across access roads.
    It's a nice dream, and I hate to be a negative Nelly, but your chances of keeping people out are slim to none. I had land once, sold it because of trespassing that really can't be stopped, even if you live there, if you don't live there, forget about it. My stands and cameras were getting stolen off my own land. I found a guy in MY stand one morning. I figured why should I tie up money and pay taxes for all that aggravation. I hope you have better luck than I did, maybe in different parts of the country people have more respect.

3. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Private property is private property. Putting up notices with contact info (not your home phone) may entice the responsible ones to help you manage it. Until they found out who owned it, they'd be dumb to just blaze in there unfettered as though it were public, they'd have no idea who owned it and it could be their freedom at stake. The ones who choose to ignore the fact that there are different rules with different owners should be the ones to benefit from "counseling" sessions with law enforcement and the courts.

I'd go for it, but as mentioned, if you live far too away to where you could only be there a limited amount of time, you might want to keep looking for something a little closer and self-manageable.

Good luck and congrats on whatever you decide.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Post the property and I would put up gates wherever I could. If you hang trailcams,(Black Flash recommended) hang them high. Use cell cams in areas you have the most traffic or problems. Be as visible as possible on your property. And ALWAYS carry a sidearm with you when out on your property. I hope it all works out. Good hunting this year!

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if you can afford 850 acres just for hunting, you can afford ME to be the manager:woot:
    of course with the stip that i get to hunt also:woot:

6. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and good luck keeping everyone out.

7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First of all people should know better to stay out of private land even if youre the neighbor. But if a neighbors got a hunter thats got acess to his land and he killed a deer on his land and it ran to your property and died. Hes there to bring it back to the neighbors land i understand and wont complain about it. But if hes on your property hunting and didnt know its your land id let it go. But if it happens again and again or worse. Its best to get the county sheriff and game wardens involve. Because they should know better. But first thing its best to get along with your neighbors first.

8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lot of good advice and I appreciate the input. Gates would be preferable than chain or wire rope due to liability issues which leads to my next question, I assume that I should have some type of liability insurance on the property to protect me from nuisance lawsuits such as someone tresspassing and crashing their 4-wheeler and suing me. I have heard of such things happening to large landowners in my area. My brother lives close to this property although I live about 2 hours away. I had thought as some suggested to cultivate a couple of adjoining landowners that were good honest people which may have hunted there before and perhaps allow them to continue to hunt but enlist them to help manage the undesirable traffic.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only guy I knew who ever had success at keeping people out was because he prosecuted EVERY trespasser he caught (of course catching them is the hard part). It is not cheap, but when word gets out that you prosecute all trespassers it can be a good deterrent.

Talking to local landowners and giving them permission can help. But expect to be frustrated if they don't hunt the same way you do.

Congrats and good luck!

10. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your brother and you should get some liability insurance. Probably be a good idea to take out one policy with both of your names on it if you are co-owners. Much easier if you have a claim to have one company handle then two companies dealing with 1 problem. Nothing will probably ever happen, but you need it for sure.

I think you have the right idea of introducing yourself to the neighbors. I would get a feel for them before telling them they can hunt your land. If they have similar hunting views than that might be a good idea. If you are only bowhunting and not gun hunting than maybe let them in for a different season with your set of rules for what can be shot. Having some others hunt will help you manage the deer herd if it is substantial.

I would personally probably start with a warning with people and then go to the law if you have problems with people coming onto your property. Posting the property is a good idea to start.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Talk to the locals find one you like and let him hunt it. For the hunting rights he has to keep the rest of the locals off and keep an eye on place for you.