30-40 yards with second pin

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ShaneB22, May 23, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After a small adjustment I can hit dead on at 20 yards. Then I shot 30 with my second pin sighted it in and when I shot 40 I was way high. Just to see what happens I shot with my second pin (the same I shoot at 30 yards) I hit dead on. Then to make sure it wasn't shooter error I shot again and again dead on. I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else? I'm not worried at all but it seemed a little odd.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot it through paper? What's the gap between your 20 and 30 look like? The 30 to 40 sound be similar. You might be getting contact or your center shot is not right. To check for contact you can spray your arrows with foot powder. If it hits something it will wipe it off.

3. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats very odd. before i switched to a single pin sight. i was using 1 pin for 20-30 yards. but at 20 my groups were a inch high, and at 30 my groups were a inch low. that is very odd that 30-40 would be the same though.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something is off. No bow is flat 30-40 yards.

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It might be that Mathews has engineered a way to make there arrows defy physics.

6. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission,
    I responded to this on the other thread you started. Long story short, check nock and rest for a condition causing an upward arc at 20-30 yards.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am with treestandsniper and think you have and issue with the alignment on the rest. 95% confidence based on what you described and I have had an issue similar. Try broadhead tuning with a fixed blade

8. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I did besides move the sight is move the rest about 1/32" so I wouldn't hit left at longer distances. Center shot is good just need to get to the shop to make a yoke adjustment for my left paper tear then I will be shooting bullet holes. Then I will broadhead tune later.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  9. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I think but I shoot 2-3" groups at 30-40 yards

10. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    The gap between 20 and 30 is about 2" +/- .5", 40 and 50 is maybe 5" +/- 1". As far as center shot, after I make a yoke adjustment I'll be shooting bullet holes. I'm sure I'm not getting contact on anything, I shoot low profile vanes in a four fletch 90° pattern and my groups are the best they've ever been. It's just odd. After I finish all of my tuning it may fix it after bareshaft and broadhead tuning

11. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so now I fixed it. Don't know why or how it happened. I was seeing how much I could shoot consistently and ended up with about 62.5lbs (according to 3lbs per turn and backed off 2.5 turns) I can pull 70 pretty easy but can't shoot consistently yet. Well after playing with draw weight I went to sight in and it was fixed somehow. Anyway I'm happy and not confused anymore.