Thumb/handle style releases

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Skylar, May 23, 2015.

1. Skylar

Skylar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello All,

I'm looking for some help and recommendations. I've always used a wrist strap style release aid and I'm looking to try a thumb/handle style release. I'm looking for something that will work well for hunting and 3D shoots. I'll admit I don't know much about handle releases, but the more I read the more potential benefits I see.

Heres what I need to know to help make my decision.

1) I notice that some of the releases have a 360* swiveling head while others don't. Is there a benefit to this?
    2) The releases that don't have the swiveling head apprear to put some twist/torque on your D loop. Does this impact shot placement and groups? Thanks in advance

Skylar

2. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wondering as well

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend shooting one first to see what you think if possible. It definitely takes some getting used to. I used to only shoot a thumb release with a head that rotates because of the reason you mentioned in point 2. That's was until I paid attention to some competition shooters. Most shot a back tension or thumb trigger with a fixed head. So I tried a Scott Exxus and now own 3. I am sure it puts some torque on the string but from what I can tell it's not enough to impact what I am doing.

It does take some getting used to and it's easier to forget your release if it's not attached to you. But once I got used to it changing definitely helped increase my accuracy. I think mostly because I was less tempted to hammer the trigger.

Hope that helps.

4. Skylar

Skylar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info...it was helpful. I've messed around with a few of them at my local pro shop. However, I wasn't actually shooting a real bow. It was one of those dummy cylinders. I got a good feel for the releases but don't have a clue how they'll perform when I let an arrow go. The problem I'm having is that I like one release that has a swiveling head, while the other doesn't. Both feel good and have very little travel in the trigger. My only concern is what I mentioned in my original post.

Anyone else have any input.... Thanks again.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For about 5 years I dealt with target panic which really started to impact me as far as how accurate I could be. Last year I went and bought myself a Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme. I ended up bowhunting with it last fall and it did help with my target panic. I think mostly it just helped the mental aspect of things by using a different finger (thumb) instead of my trigger finger and punching the trigger like I was. Since then I got myself a new Mathews bow with a touch more let-off and I have also switched back to a regular trigger release.

So to answer your questions I think its strictly personal preference as far as what type of release you shoot as long as it works for you. It does put a little torque on the D-loop but I never really noticed it being enough to effect the shot becuase I could still get to my normal anchor point. (Tip of nose) and centering my site ring within the peep. It took me about 15-20 shots to get use to it and figure out how to really shoot with it but once I did, I shot just fine.

6. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a wrist release to a Tru Ball Fang three finger release and I love it. The change cut out the target panic and helped improve my accuracy, could all be just a mental thing but I am much more attentive to the draw now compared to when I used the wrist release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a benefit of a 4 finger over a 3? Personally I've only shot a 4 a few times so I really wouldn't know what the differences are

8. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting a wrist strap for 26 years , just made the switch to a Thumb release and am very happy with it , I tried out several and narrowed it down to 2 , Scott Exxus , Stan Shootoff . both are smooth and felt great , I went with the Exxus and am very happy with it .. I got a really good deal on it to boot $125.00 shipped to me .
    My accuracy has improved too , and I feel it is because I find myself paying more attention to the pin/target and not on the shot , I squeeze the thumb trigger just enough and then let my shoulders squeeze to set the shot off ... if that makes since to ya ..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    where did you pick up a Stan for $125?

10. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have been shooting the true ball diamond for years and finally upgraded to the true fire hardcore revolution and love it. I have always shot the 4 finger because i have large hands and the 3 finger style was just uncomfortable. My local shop let me try out several different ones when I bought my new true fire. I would just go to your local shop and ask to try them out. as far as the torque on the d loop i just added a little length to mine and have no trouble at all.

11. TeamFATBOY

TeamFATBOY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started messing around with a thumb release towards the end of last season but didn't hunt with it and trying to switch from a wrist release. I just wasn't comfortable with it. After taking a break after the season all I've been shooting is the thumb release and it feels natural and like others have said, I don't seem to notice as much target panic now. I'm shooting really good now and with confidence. I'm using a TruBall Max Hunter 3 that has a rotating head and like the way I can leave the release on the loop while in the stand without it banging on stuff by accident. I also have the same release as an extra back up in my pack or pocket just in case I drop one. Wouldn't be the first time.

12. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I hunted with a Pro Diamond Extreme to help rid me of target panic more or less to retrain my trigger finger once I went back to it. Needless to say it worked. This year I went back to my normal trigger style release but I'm going to carry my thumb release in my pack as a backup just in case something happens to my main one. That way I can stay in the woods and still hunt. Every once in awhile i'll take a few shots with my thumb release just to make sure i'm still capable of using it.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only thing I would say is that you may want your dloop a little looser on the top side to prevent any pinch on the nock when at draw with a solid thumb release.