Bow hunting rabbits?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dannyj, May 23, 2015.

1. dannyj

dannyj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been trying to go turkey hunting all season long here in Wichita, KS but keep getting rained out. When we've been able to get out to scout, we've seen a lot of rabbits. Has anyone bow hunted rabbits? I've got my draw weight around 60lbs. Is that too much for rabbit or does it matter?

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted rabbits and squirrels all spring long with my bow at 70#. The only recommendation that I have is to have a set of arrows just for small game.

3. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wreck is spot on. Use some arrows set up for it. Personally I try to use older arrows because I seem to hit things that break them. I would also highly recommend you use blunt tips. For me they work great as they prevent the arrow from burying, they may stop in the rabbit, most all energy is transferred. It is very fun! Good Luck!

4. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting small game is a great time with archery equipment! I would recommend the G5 SGH as a tip. In my experience practically indestructible. Older arrows would be better, but you don't have too have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dannyj

dannyj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice! thank you. My youngest son can't wait to get out and shoot some rabbits. I'm looking forward to it too. I'm sure all the thunderstorms and rain we've been having all turkey season long here in Kansas will move on out about an hour after the last day of the season on May 31! :) We may try again on Thursday and Friday.

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot these. In the hundreds of shots I've taken with them, I've only had one of the "blades" break off. Better yet, they fly exactly as my field points

7. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess i need to contact G5... I had a SGH on my arrow during WI squirrel season and within two shots i broke 2 out of the 3 "blades"... Kinda disappointing cause they flew great and did a great job