Tree stand Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ScentLokSoldierUSA, May 21, 2015.

1. ScentLokSoldierUSA

ScentLokSoldierUSA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a stand up for awhile now, about 3 years, going to replace the ratchet straps and carefully examine the stand like I always do. My question is if you do leave the stand out how long till you just take it down and by a new one? Or if the cables and bolts are look like they are in good shape do you continue to use it? I wear a safety harness and utilize a lifeline as well. Just debating if I want to pack my kids up and head out and pick up a new stand as well.

2. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 56 stands at one time and am down to 31 and still trying to lower it as my age creeps up. Maiteance is a job in itself when you have as many as I did . Still a chore for this 60 year old! The ones from 20 years ago which are 3 are still in good use as they were made really good back then. It's the newer ones that falter and creek. If you take care of them, they'll last you a long time, if not then doen't expect many years use out of them!
    Rocky

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I check the ratchet straps every year and I oil the bolts and hinges with DDW scent free oil every year. I have stands I have used for years that still work fine.

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check your straps. Squirrels chew on them and trees grow stressing them. Hit any rust with some krylon and you should be good. We replace our wooden stands often.

5. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I check all my stands every year and replace any parts that look like they need it, Some of my stands are ones that were found grown into big ole oaks an stuff that I had to cut out of the tree.... There still going strong!!

6. RalphEwell

RalphEwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I also check all my stands every year. It increases safety and improves performance........!

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On my steel stands, I also check for rust, hit it with the wire brush to clean it up and make sure there are no serious problems and hit it with primer and paint.

8. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    a "quality" stand can be out for decades only needing straps replaced every few years. "Cheap" stands will start rusting as soon as they get into the woods.

We replace safety lines and tree straps every other year. Some stands I'll hit with some rustoleum.