Moon Guide

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stillmanchad, May 20, 2015.

1. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard great things about the Deer Hunters' moon guide. Has anyone ever purchased the dial, and if so have you had good results with it?

2. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used it but bought one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do they provide any different insight than the free apps/websites that have moon phase data for hunting?

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally it wouldn't provide much if any value. I hunt as much as I can from about Oct 25th - Nov 25th regardless of what moon phase it is. Plus, I have a decent understanding of how the different phases supposedly effect deer movement.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a moon believer myself, like Cooter said first week in November no matter the weather or moon phase.

6. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I spend ample time in the woods each year, just wondering what others think

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I consider weather a far bigger factor that's all, I never check the moon phase. It is like the rut predictor it is going to happen roughly the same time every year no matter the moon phase.

8. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be using one this year

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Moon phase is a waste of time to consider. It's a variable that we have no control over, and to factor it into our decision making is way over thinking crap...

10. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not so sure about that. For example, I only get a few days to hunt in November, so wouldn't it make sense for me to select the absolute bests days to hunt, according to the moon guide, versus just picking a few days on a whim? There seems to be a lot of successful hunters that use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly believe in moon phases affecting deer. An example would be if it's been a full moon out most of the night, then most likely you will see very little movement in the morning and evenings because the deer have been able to see and feed all night long, allowing them to head back to bedding earlier. I like to hunt on new moon and on full moon when when it's underfoot. I also like times when the moon comes up early in the morning and sets in the afternoon.

Will I hunt other times, sure, but I make sure I hunt those times when I have experienced better movement as it relates to the moon. Obviously weather affects movement as well, so I also take that into account.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Negative If you could pick any days in NOV you would be remiss not to hunt from the 7th to the 15th no matter what the moon phase or charts tell you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually prefer the time just before the rut first week of November no matter the moon phase. For the moon watchers what do you do if it is cloudy?

14. jarodkallal

jarodkallal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im a firm believer with the moon phase. yes like all you fellas say end of october thru middle of november is awesome. but personally for me with a family and work sometimes you cant hunt everyday so for me if the moon says the morning is better and i can only go once a day. im goin in the morning. but you could even throw the rut out the window. early season and late season when the deer are on a more reliable pattern the moon definately impacts the movement. when you see deer at noon early and late season see what the moon guide says and 9 times outta 10 itll say thats the time. killed a 135'', 154'', and a 165'' with a bow the last 3 years and i look at the moon guide before i go. everytime.

15. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The info provided by the moon guide is invaluable for anyone who is hunting deer that are going to their bed or getting up from their bed to eat. As a husband, father and an idiot who works way too much I take into account weather, moon location (more than moon phase) and wind to make the most out of every opportunity I get in the low deer density areas I hunt near home. Maybe it is just pixie dust for some of you, but according to my wife, who pays the bills, it works. She notices that taxidermy charge on the credit card before I get the mount back every time!

16. steadyeddy

steadyeddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
  17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get Bill Vale's Moon Calendar every year. Love the thing!

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally don't put any value in moon phase. A general understand of the deers reproductive cycle will tell you that the deer don't pay much attention to it either. Think about it. All fawns are born during the same period of May/June because the gestation period is 190-210 days roughly. Backtrack 190 to 210 days and you're at the end of october/beginning of November, peak breeding phase. There is roughly a two to three week period every year during that timeframe when almost all breeding takes place.

The only place I believe moon phase is appropriate is movement in daylight hours. Full moons seem to have less deer on their feet during the day. However, I can recall one of my best hunts ever taking place on a full moon day during the rut. This sort of proved to me years ago that it really doesn't make a lot of difference.

19. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it was all junk too until I listened to the wired to hunt podcast with Adam Hayes (episode #69 I believe) and it is making me reconsider using the moon to figure out when I want to hunt my sweet spots. That said I will probably be out almost everyday anyway

20. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    If I sold the moon guild for 24.99 a shot I would believe in it to.

I listened to the same pod cast and my bull **** meter was going off the charts.