Good read

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tacklebox, May 20, 2015.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read this earlier this morning and was going to share. It was a good read.

I didn't realize until I saw pictures that he is the same guy who was with Jim Shockey on Uncharted.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Solid advice:D

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lol right?!

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing the link!

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's a great read but I still have mixed emotions about the whole thing. Maybe it's because I don't have a spare $350,000 burning a hole in my pocket to spend on something so I can't even begin to relate. Or maybe it's the fact that I am increasingly annoyed by hunters hiding behind the guise of "I'm doing this for conservation" instead of just saying "I enjoy the thrill of the hunt".

Call me a cynic but when you start looking at hunts for one of the world's most endangered species for sums of money that are far beyond what most people can afford, I just don't think it shines the best light on the hunting community as a whole. Sure, it may benefit conservation efforts and it may in fact be helping rhinos but this just isn't something I can get behind or that makes me feel proud to be a hunter.

To each their own I suppose.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping they kidnapped the guy and took all of his money story. Still have hope it happens:beer:

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I'm sure he has no qualms admitting he REALLY wanted to kill a rhino. That's why on auction night he was the highest bidder.

Killing the oldest males that are beyond breeding and doing nothing besides fighting/injuring other younger breeding males does nothing detrimental to the herd's population. And it puts a positive price tag on the animal vs a black market price tag.

Even if I was wealthy enough to afford a $350k hunting license, I wouldn't do it. But kudos for this guy for having the gumption to go. It DEFINITELY helps the Rhinos, and when it's a well spoken successful guy like Corey, it helps the hunting image overall IMO. A far worse representation of hunting and hunters is the average DA we all encounter at the gas station getting coffee in full camo heading to the whitetail woods.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the benefit to conservation is less 'taking the old agressive rhinos out of the herd' and more simply the $ that is supposedly going toward more 'conservation officers' to stop poaching.

I'm sure it was an exhilarating hunt. I'm sure it was filmed and will be on outdoor channel, or for sale via dvd/blueray. I too don't have that kind of money to spend on the hunt and taxi.

Would I do it if i had the chance? Heck yeah!

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I guess this is where we'll agree to disagree. I personally believe the public at large is more tolerant of the average blue-collar hunter who is out to score some venison and a rack for his wall than they are of an uber rich guy spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to kill and endangered species (regardless of his money's benefit for conservation of that animal).

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

The type of people who get bent out of shape reading a news story about a guy paying $350k to shoot a rhino are also likely to be the same type of people to get bent out of shape by Joe Camo buying a cup of coffee in full gear.

That is to say, not inclined to be open minded about hunting as the true conservation tool it is; regardless of the price tag.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that is more class warfare mentality than it is an anti hunting mentality or a save the animal mentality though. People who hate him for spending $350k on a hunt are the same people who hate someone else for owning a $4million boat and driving a $300k car. The money is the issue, not the hunt itself per se.

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like this is the case 100%. That and the fact that Corey Knowlton might just be the most annoying person on television.

If this was a more likable personality like let's say Jim Shockey, people from within our own ranks would hate it less.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A few random thoughts,

With out reading into the article, if this hunt was filmed I wonder how much of the cost could be written off as a expense..... Might take the sting out of 350k

Also if you going to sit on a high horse and Claim that your main motivation is conservation, while I am not sure that's the case here.... then why not just take out your check book and write a check for the conversation end? What I am getting at is how many second and third place bidders still fork over then money without wining the tag? My guess is not too many.

Lastly I tried watching a couple episodes of the show he is in with shockey...and I just can't watch the guy. Personality and TV I am sure doesn't always paint the true picture but he comes across, as whiney and annoying, with a dead fish personality...

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally don't have a desire to hunt dangerous game in Africa, but their government has determined the best conservation method is to thin out some of the old bulls. In doing so, offering up the tags to the highest bidder seems like a pretty good idea, especially if those funds go towards restoration efforts and anti-poaching. If it wasn't this guy it would be some other guy, or just as likely a poacher would get him at some point. He's a hunter, he wants to kill his quarry just like we want to kill ours. When I buy my license, I know that my money is going to a good cause, and will help in the conservation efforts of my state. I don't buy my tags specifically to contribute to the conservation effort, as I'm buying the to have the ability to hunt my game, but knowing those funds will be used in the conservation effort makes my happy. I can imagine he feels the same way, only on a much larger scale. How many of these anti-hunters and activists have donated $350,000 to the conservation efforts? I'm guessing not too many.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in Africa is weird because it's completely different from what we have here in North America. Their version of the game commission has to put up fences and has to sell off hunts like this to fund protection. It's a very gray issue but I'm in full support of using wealthy hunters as a tool for conservation in Africa.

I don't like that he plays the conservation card, but people also need to be made aware of the positives. The hunter does indeed get his "trophy for the wall" - but a village gets the meat and all of that money goes to protecting the herd. In a place like Africa, that's good business.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of TV hunters, the things they have to do to be successful and make money are the very things that make me dislike them. The whole thing about talking about the death threats he received, and inviting cnn along for the hunt kinda sounds like self promotion and look at me attitude.

18. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I just read the article in full and honestly...my original thought of the guy being whiney and sniveling was confirmed.
    The holier than thou attitude he has rubs me the wrong way and may fool some non hunters...but those of that hunt understand the motivations behind it and won't swallow his tripe.
    I would have more respect for the guy that says..." It's legal, it's ethical, the money is going to a great cause, and I am thankful I can go on the hunt and I will enjoy it. If you don't like it, or agree with to bad ...go **** in your hat"

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind this is not some TV hunter, and he certainly doesn't rely on hunting to make him a dime. He is big oil money through and through.

20. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you truly just want to help conservation write a check and walk away.

Maybe fence this rhino in a spot where he will not kill others, I know SCI, high fences and South Africa go hand and hand.